Sliding shelve unit - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Sliding shelve unit

Been giving a lot of thought to the super efficient chest fridge, but the stopper for me would be shelving. Anyone know of a way to raise the food up out of the fridge for easy access? Just digging around in the fridge isn't an option, because my wife is so short she'd wind up falling into it every time she tried to get something from the bottom. The only way I'll get her to buy off on it is if I can come up with a way to lift all the food out with one hand, and push it back down with one hand, so it can be accessed without having to lean into it.

I was thinking some sort of scissor lift shelf, 2 units in the fridge, with each lift having 2 shelves on it. But, I can't find anything that will work. My skills in making something aren't that great either. Any ideas? If I can come up with something where I can make a chest fridge work, then I can design the next house to accommodate 2 deep freeze chests and put this shelving setup into both of them.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Supporting Member

At the energy savings, if you are serious, you could just put a shelf that didn't move just low enough that a 2 liter would clear the top, she could grab whatever and it'd still have plenty space. I think It'd be awesome, but I'd have to get two small ones and operate one as a freezer. Then what do I do with my landlord's unit? Couldn't just leave the doors open cause the cats would crawl up in it.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

just bend 1-2 hangers around the metal baskets, grab hangers to remove basket. and maybe add a stool to boost the shortie in your life( mines 4'11") or chop your arm off and install a Capitan hook on ye arrrrrm
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

If I had to I could get a larger unit than necessary, then put in a solid shelf with vents to keep crap from going to the bottom, but I'd rather have a lift inside that would lift the contents out for access. Lift-out baskets won't work as we keep a lot of fruit in the house like watermelons and stuff, and she isn't going to want to lift a bunch of stuff out like that. I could also get a smaller unit if I could do a 2-tier lift of some sort.

If I do this I also plan to do 2 units, one for freezing and one for a fridge. Let the cats sleep in the landlord's unit. Maybe you could cut a kitty hole in the door. Then when friends come over, open the kitty condo and ask them if they'd like a little Chinese food .
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Tuggin at the surly bonds

2 step ladders: one outside, one intside