So I Bought a VX - now a few questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I Bought a VX - now a few questions

Hello Everyone,

I began reading this forum last year like many others during the surge in gas prices. Thanks for all the great information. I research all types of vehicles that use all types of alternative fuels. Test drove a couple of CRXs (use to think they were cool when I was younger (and still do) and poor), but ended up buying a stock '94 VX just one week ago. I'm no mechanic, but it seems like I got a mechanically sound car with just over 150K miles. It does have body damage though...and i plan to have it repaired/replaced.

I've read all I could find about the VXs. Tom O's posts are a great source of information. Thanks Tom. I plan to upgrade to intermittent wipers using Tom's instructions. So here are some questions I have about the VX. Thanks for any assistance.

1. My car is all maual. Is it possible to add cruise control and power windows. If so, how difficult a process?

2. I'm not going to pretent to understand how lean burn works. All I'd really like to know is, How can I tell if I'm in lean burn?

3. what type of oil is best? synthetic? should i add slik50 or similar product.

4. and how do you attach a photo .. i use a Mac.

that's all for now. Thanks.

Larry

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Attaching a photo...here's some instructions I sent someone else. It's actually very easy.

First, you need a place to upload and host your pictures. It doesn't really matter where.
  • Photobucket is very popular, though I've never used it. I'm sure it's free. I'm pretty sure it's relatively easy to use.
  • tinypic.com is extremely quick and easy to use with no signup and no BS, if your pictures are somewhat anonymous or you don't care to keep track of them.
  • Flickr and Picasaweb are great but require a little more work and thought, as they aren't designed specifically for use with forums.
  • You may be able to upload them here, too, but that's a bit of a hassle and I never bother.
  • There's a million other photo hosting sites too, and there's general purpose file hosting sites that don't care what kind of files they're hosting. It really doesn't matter.
Are you registered at any sites where you might be able to upload, other than forums?

Once your pictures are hosted somewhere, you have to embed them in your messages...
  • If you used a site that's made for forums, it will provide stuff you can copy and paste.
  • If not, you have to get the address of the image itself (not the address of the page). Right-click on the image.
  • -- If you're using Internet Explorer you'll have to click Properties, and its address will be there.
  • -- If you're using any other browser you can choose something like "Copy image address" or "Copy image location".
  • Once you have the image address, you have to paste it into your message, surrounded by image tags. The tags look like this: {img} address-of-image.jpg {/img} except they use square brackets [] instead of curly braces {}.
  • The message editor can do the job for you; instead of pasting the address into the message, click this button in the tools above the message edit box: and paste the address into its dialog box. That doesn't do anything special, it just saves you the keystrokes of typing in the img tags.
Avoid putting images on the same line, that makes people have to scroll sideways to see them. Here's an example of images on the same line; you can see the code by quoting this message:

Here's the same images on separate lines:

I simply pressed the Enter key after each [/IMG] tag just like I would after typing a paragraph.

Try not to post images too small to see well or too large to load quickly / fit on people's screens. I like to post images from 500x500 to 1280x1024, depending on how much detail is necessary. Many of the hosting sites will automatically resize the picture based on the URL, and in fact, if you use Picasaweb you need to manually change the URL to specify a size or it won't display for anyone but you.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
How technical are you willing to get? Here's a thread (by TomO) about a DIY lean burn monitor:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2427

I'm pretty sure that aftermarket cruise control is easy to add. I'm not sure how hard it would be to use OEM cruise control.

Power windows can get expensive unless you have a donor car with everything you need. I imagine they can't be too difficult in a 1992 VX.

For oil, maybe a VX owner can chime in on any special needs the car has.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
3. what type of oil is best? synthetic? should i add slik50 or similar product.
the superiority of synthetics is debatable, tho my hands on observations show they are worth the extra $$$. if you do use a synthetic, go w/ a PAO base such as Mobile1 or Amsoil as all so-called synthetics are not created equal. and be careful as mobile1 does not use full synthetics in all of their products.

besides, synthetics allow me to change my oil only once per year(very convenient).

do NOT use additives especially w/ synthetics and especially not slick50. the FTC investigated them and found their claims faulty. pretty typical of snake oil tho.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

I run Pennzoil conventional oil, and I always use the thinnest oil recommended by the manufacturer. I would only run thicker oil if I had an oil leak.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote