some more familiar driving, LOL - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Dude, safety doesn't mean a thing at 100+ MPH. You might as well be driving my n600 at those speeds.
It depends what you hit and what angle you hit it. People crashed into semi's at 100+ and walked away with only a few scratches.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
In a crash, there are two main things that will kill you:

1) Rapid deceleration
2) The car itself

The first can be countered with good crumple zones, but this is not 100% going to save you. Most cars rigourously try to address this issue.

The second can come from anything the car is made of, whether it is by being crushed, by hitting the steering wheel and/or airbags/seatbelts with too much force, interior trim pieces flying off at you, seats coming loose, ect. Most cars inadequately address this issue, mostly because regulations are geared toward the first criteria and many regulations even prevent adopting ways to address this issue. A sparse interior, rigid chassis, and a very strong roll cage can mostly eliminate the risk of the car itself killing the occupants.

There is a reason that formula race car drivers can crash into a wall at 200+ mph and walk away without a scratch. Their vehicles extensively address BOTH of these issues, not just rely on addressing one of them.

Most drivers on our roads are killed by the car itself. Get plowed by an SUV or smack into a MACK truck at 150 mph, and your own car will crush you to death. In the olden days, there were a significant number killed by rapid deceleration due to lack of crumple zones, but the dead bodies would be almost pudding from the rapid deceleration. Isn't the case so much any more. But we still have heads getting cut off and people being crushed into the most peculiar of bloodied-up shapes by their own car. Even worse, often safety features themselves like seatbelts and airbags are a large source of injuries, albeit they may often prevent more serious injuries.

But there is a reason formula racecars don't use airbags and have a nice, solid safety harness instead of a seat belt.

I'd feel much safer in a 1,000 pound dune buggy with no air bags than a 5,000 pound minivan loaded with all that crap, knowing this.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

My problem with people driving like they did in the Video isn't with the risk that the person themselves are taking, although I think that the benefits do not outweigh the risks, but the risk to the other people on the highway, if anything unforseen happens, is not reasonable, for the other people. Their just trying to go from point A to point B, safely and this guy is putting everyone around him at a significantly higher risk, in my perspective. Doesn't mean I haven't been dumb enough to drive like that, but in retrospect, the time I gained, or whatever it was that caused me to drive like that weren't taking the other person's life or risk into account, which is incredibly selfish, in my opinion.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Dude, safety doesn't mean a thing at 100+ MPH. You might as well be driving my n600 at those speeds.
wow that little thing can go that fast?

yea pepole are stupid behind the wheel. been there done that. scared me half to death. only mine was a friend driving his own car and we jumped over some railroad tracks. at LEAST 10+ feet in the air. i never drove with him again

PS it's good to be back on here. japan kicked my ***.

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

i hate the music sheesh, but ya if i see drivers like that coming up on my lane all i have to do is wait till they are done their buisness then do my thing.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #16
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I dunno about that. BMW is really safe when it comes to safety.
your right. so when the driver(of the car or another on the road) finally makes a bad move the driver of the sports car will probably die over a 3 hour period instead of .3seconds. kudos bmw. yes some bmws are designed for higher speeds, but they are not designed to be safe with inconsiderate driving.

so my statement still stands. the tool box, a.k.a. "box of tools"; implying that the driver has the qualities of being a tool so great that he proceeds into the "multiple tool" catagory, will die soon. do you guys call someone thats a 'jerk' a 'tool' out in utah?

ive never seen anyone type that something is 'really safe when it comes to safety'..... only in english....
Old 07-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
what a tool box.
...yeah, like a box of hammers, or maybe he just had his first beer.

Granted, pushing BMWs is tempting because they handle smoother the harder you drive them, but in the instant of an accident, both the innocent victims and stupid people alike find out just how precious and fleeting life can be.

I've seen SUVs driven like that around Boston with a LOT more traffic than junior there had with daddy's little bimmer. He won't be the first or the last to attempt to break the laws of physics.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared

ive never seen anyone type that something is 'really safe when it comes to safety'..... only in english....
English is my second language.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Music by Evanescence - http://www.evanescence.com/video.asp
I have to wonder what speeds they were reaching and by so many vehicles were so badly spaced all over the highway - doesn't anyone keep right anymore?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Registered Member

Ummm. Did anybody watch it all the way to the end?

And why is this thread from 2006 coming up in the "Similar Threads" section?