SuperMID speed sensor compatibility - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Driving on E

SuperMID speed sensor compatibility

I know that for some vehicles the speed sensor is an issue for the SuperMID. I started thinking tonight and I remembered the Zemco Trip Computer that came with it's own speed sensor. It mounted a magnet onto the axle and had a pickup magnet that was mounted somewhere onto the body. The result was a magnetic speed sensor that could work on any car.

I went searching on google tonight and found this:

http://www.dickey-johnproducts.com/i...products_id=19

installation instructions are here, but can be mounted differently:

http://www.dickey-john.com/_dl/1-0788.pdf

Would this type of thing work for the SuperMID? I'm trying to think of a solution for everyone, even the folks like me without digital speed sensors.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I know that for some vehicles the speed sensor is an issue for the SuperMID. I started thinking tonight and I remembered the Zemco Trip Computer that came with it's own speed sensor. It mounted a magnet onto the axle and had a pickup magnet that was mounted somewhere onto the body. The result was a magnetic speed sensor that could work on any car.
Thanks for the link, that's interesting.

Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
Thanks for the link, that's interesting.
I'm wondering if it would work. Hopefully Yoshi will read this and be able to let us know.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

If the SuperMID could pick up that signal,it would register once per revolution. IIRC, Yoshi said that the MID expects one signal every 35mm. If yjat is correct, then the MID would register 20% of the actual distance. I will let Yoshi confirm this.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
If the SuperMID could pick up that signal,it would register once per revolution. IIRC, Yoshi said that the MID expects one signal every 35mm. If yjat is correct, then the MID would register 20% of the actual distance. I will let Yoshi confirm this.
ACtually, considering that there are up to 60 magnets included it could give a pulse many times per revolution.

IMHO if the SuperMID is only set up to work properly with certain cars that is another potential downfall. If it can be calibrated to work with any pulse VSS then I forsee many people buying it.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
ACtually, considering that there are up to 60 magnets included it could give a pulse many times per revolution.

IMHO if the SuperMID is only set up to work properly with certain cars that is another potential downfall. If it can be calibrated to work with any pulse VSS then I forsee many people buying it.
Hi Matt and all,

There is an industry standard for the conventional mechanical speedometer cable as 637 revolution/km. It looks the US people are saying it 1000 revolution/mile.
Prius and Del sol VSS are supplying 4 pulses/revolution, which means 2548 pulses/km or 4000 pulses/mile. It is 0.3925m/pulse.
In case of Prius, the tire diameter is 0.62m and 1.95m circumference.
If we use the speed sensor, we only need 5 magnets on wheel.

There are some speedometer sender on market from Autometer and VDO.
Unfortunately, they are usually 16 pulses/revolution, four times more than Prius and Del sol. The program on the SuperMID has to be modified.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=VW_GM_Cable

Yoshi
GasSavers_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Hi Matt and all,

There is an industry standard for the conventional mechanical speedometer cable as 637 revolution/km. It looks the US people are saying it 1000 revolution/mile.
Prius and Del sol VSS are supplying 4 pulses/revolution, which means 2548 pulses/km or 4000 pulses/mile. It is 0.3925m/pulse.
In case of Prius, the tire diameter is 0.62m and 1.95m circumference.
If we use the speed sensor, we only need 5 magnets on wheel.

There are some speedometer sender on market from Autometer and VDO.
Unfortunately, they are usually 16 pulses/revolution, four times more than Prius and Del sol. The program on the SuperMID has to be modified.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=VW_GM_Cable

Yoshi
It appears to me then that the speed sensor I posted above is an option, assuming we can test the number of pulses by the number of magnets used.

I also had no idea that there was an industry standard, which seems to make sense. I just want there to be an option for people w/o electronic VSS's.

Yoshi, is the VSS something that can be calibrated on the SUperMID? If i get smaller or larger tires am I able to change the parameter so it will be accurate?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yoshi,
I am wondering if you couldn't address the vehicle compatibility issues by increasing the range on the fuel and distance parameters. I realize that your range is limited by the hardware but can you increase the range by increasing the effect of each increment? For example, to go from a Prius to a Honda, I had to change the fuel parameter from 13515 to 11067. So each increment to the fuel parameter changes the output value by 0.01%. What if you changed the programming so that each increment changes the output value by 0.1%. It would still be very accurate but you would have 10 times the range. And the same goes with the distance parameter. And if you can't tie the instantaneous reading to the fuel parameter, could you add an instantaneous parameter?

I love the SuperMID, I am trying to offer suggestions to how you would make it more appealing to potential customers.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Yoshi, is the VSS something that can be calibrated on the SUperMID? If i get smaller or larger tires am I able to change the parameter so it will be accurate?
If you wear factory standard tires, the default 2572 distance parameter should be right on, the industry standard.
You can adjust your own parameter to match your tire size.
Dan, any comments?

Yoshi
Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I love the SuperMID, I am trying to offer suggestions to how you would make it more appealing to potential customers.
Dan,

Thank you for your comments.
Yes. I understand what you mean.
A flexible/programmable instrument is everyone's expectations.

Please understand that the original design spec was only for Prius and there are a lot of limitations about the performance and memory space on the microprocessor I use.
I have my own job, and this SuperMID thing is my hobby and I can only spend my spare time as a kind of leisure.

Anyway, I'll do my best to meet all your(customer's) requirements.
Yoshi

PS. I still would like to have my own house in Beverly Hills.