survey: could you get by WITHOUT a car? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:I used to throw

Quote:
I used to throw mileage out the window for horsepower. It's uniquely American, it's something hard-wired, and it was hard to get rid of.
Yeah, I was the same way. It's amazing how different i drive then 1- year ago, but It was really hard to change my driving habits (it took around 6 months).

If I lived in a city like new york there is no way i would own a car. When we went to vist my cousin in NYC parking was $35 a day (or you TRY to find a parking spot... lol). Then if you do drive you can't go faster then 10mph. I do bike alot, 500-750 miles a year.

I am an explorer at heart and it would be hard living without a car (even in the city).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Quote:I used to throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
If I lived in a city like new york there is no way i would own a car. When we went to vist my cousin in NYC parking was $35 a day (or you TRY to find a parking spot... lol). Then if you do drive you can't go faster then 10mph.
[/quote]

I have a policy -- if I'm going to Chicago, New York City, Toronto, or Boston (for work or play), I won't rent a car. When I was a new at travel, I rented a car for trips in downtown Chicago. Basically, parking was $40/day at the site I was visiting, and a "full-size" rental got me a POS compact coupe at a high rate. In all 4 cities mentioned, driving lanes are a more of a "suggestion" and public transit was easily accessible around town and to the airport. Forget it -- I'll take the train and bus in those cities (even DC can be easily navigated with pub-trans). The freedom of driving is completely removed in the ultra-urban setting. The one exception is LA -- everyone drives there, and public transit is virtually non-existent, so I'll sit in traffic with everyone else.

RH77

Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #13

Not a chance. On my worst

Not a chance.

On my worst day of the week, I commute about 150 miles. On my best day, it's still about 50 miles. I work about 30 minutes from my house, about the same distance for school, and my fiance lives about 50 minutes from me.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote