Taking information tech for granted - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Taking information tech for granted

I noticed a tree growing at a steep angle over a state highway near me that is pressing on some cable lines. Midway through the process of reporting it, I realized how much I take a lot of technology for granted. First, I took a couple digital pictures of the tree showing how it was leaning and pressing the lines. Then I went to VT's website and got the contact email for their Highway Maintenance Dep't. I not only attached the photos but also made a Google map showing the location of the tree. This all took only a few minutes, contrasting sharply with the process I used to report a few missing highway signs only six years ago.

Now we'll see how long they take to respond, let along do something about it. That part I don't take for granted at all!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

"Now we'll see how long they take to respond"

If you are dealing with state, local or the federal government...... expect a very slow and constipated response.

want2buyVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Once I got to the right people six years ago the signs were replaced quickly. It was calling one unhelpful state employee after another looking for them that was most of it. Not expecting miracles though, I just don't want to lose my cable some day.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2buyVX View Post
If you are dealing with state, local or the federal government...... expect a very slow and constipated response.
absolutely, unless you're talking about passing anti-constitutional legislation. that typically happens very quickly overnight!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Giving directions to a guy who didn't know the area and having to reference specific landmarks because of the very few streets here was a real PITA last time. I was amazed they put the signs in the right places.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
When I've ventured into Boston a couple times lately, I've used Google Maps street view to simulate driving to my destination. That made it very easy for me, even though I'm navigationally challenged. After simulating it on street view, when I actually arrive and drive on the streets, it's all familiar.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just did that last night so I'm not late for a Dr's appointment. One way streets always seem to trip me up at this particular place, but after looking at street view I have it figured out.

The route Google maps gave me to my uncle's place lost me when transitioning from one highway to another. I finally looked at it and saw it was sending me around three leaves of the clover loop. No wonder I was confused. Don't know if it's still like that or not (been a couple years).

co de pen den cy

Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Wow...what a mess!

Street view is from the point of view of driving on the street. You can drag the picture in any direction (sideways, vertical) to change your angle or click on the arrows in the street line to drive up the street.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

Today I took my bicycle to go get the mail and on the way back I couldn't resist counting wheel revolutions to accurately place the leaning tree to a landmark visible in aerial photographs. Then I updated the Google map. The sick part is how much I enjoyed doing it.

No reply yet...

co de pen den cy

Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

Noticed the tree was gone today. I'd started following up last week and couldn't get anyone to return my emails or calls about the matter, but it did go away. Apparently there was a three way jurisdiction fight since the tree was over the state highway but also touching phone and cable lines. If power lines had been involved it would've been handled a lot quicker. Still, 24 days (or less maybe since I hadn't been out for a bit) from start to finish isn't so shabby.

co de pen den cy