Thanks, Arnold - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

lived in VA for most of my life. now in NC. really not that far of a move for me. I always lived close to the border.

gas in NC is crazy. we often try to get it in VA if we are going that way. I think the gas tax is 10 or 12 cent cheaper per gallon in VA.

found it
http://www.gassavers.org/garage_imag...btnaeilfiw.jpg

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, but only E10 is available in VA. Isn't 100% gasoline still available in NC? I would pay 10 - 12 cents more for real gasoline.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

I can't really argue about that. the 100% is good stuff.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, I have a lot working against me on my mileage. I drive a V-8 4x4. 90% of my driving is short-trip city, and I'm burdened with E10. All things considered I feel that my mileage isn't all that bad, but the "real stuff" would make my efforts a bit easier.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
All my gas is E10. I do ok.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

You do really good with your K1500, I wish I could do that well, but you do a lot more highway driving than I do.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

For right now I have to stay out here, this is where work is. Va. sounds nice, but they don't build wind turbines there, at least not right now.

So if property taxes are so low, and registration for the car is so low (but you pay property tax on the car!?!) how does the state obtain the revenue to operate? What are sales and income taxes like?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

The Commonwealth (state) sales tax is 5%, yes there is property tax on the cars, but 2 of my vehicles are exempt I only pay tax on the 98 Sierra, which amounts to about $80/yr. The property tax goes to the county, not the state. I don't know how the income tax compares to other states as I have filed in Virginia my entire working life. The state tax is pennies compared to what I pay in Federal tax. The state makes a lot of money in taxes on the tobacco farms & tobacco manufacturing industry. In return, VA has one of the lowest cigarette taxes in the country. This helps collect a lot of "yankee dollars". I remember when I was in college I worked for 7-11. I once had to work a shift in a 7-11 2 blocks from I-95. I was amazed at how many cars with New England tags pulling in, and buying 5-10 cartons of cigarettes at a time(because they were about 1/2 the price that was being charged in New York) Virginia also makes decent tax revenue on tourism. With low fuel and sales taxes it makes a Virginia vacation a lot more affordable than other destinations.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #19

My 95 Civic went up $11.

VA isn't as affordable as it sounds. I lived there for a few years and had my rent increase one year by $100 and another year by $350 26% increase due to lack of rent control. Last I checked smoking was permitted in restaurants and it's a big deal for people that suffer from asthma and allergies. As expensive as CA is, there's some benefits to staying here.
KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Many counties & cities have recently banned smoking in restaurants & bars. Smoking is only allowed if the establishment walls off a particular area and installs a separate ventilation system. As far as the rent goes, I guess its up to whomever you rent from. In the properties my father used to rent out he would not raise the rent if he had good tenants in the property. One place he kept the rent the same for 15 years until they moved out.