"The End of Suburbia" video on youtube - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

"The End of Suburbia" video on youtube

52 minute documentary. I have watched the first 20min so far (it looks real interesting).

The End of Suburbia

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

I OWN it! Got it from Ebay after seeing it for the first time in 2003 in 1st year university. It is pretty good (my dad thought it was boring . He's never had the attention span for documentaries).

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

I am always up for a good documentary. Now back to the movie...

I am still watching it.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
A good eye opener, they should have ended by literally say we are all screwed in the next 10-20 years or so.....
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Supporting Member

wow thank you so much for posting that. It is so true even in my family. we moved to the the country now im stuck with a 50++ daily comute THANKS DAD!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Thanks for the link

Did anyone else notice within the first two minutes most of the cars had some sort of wheel fairing/skirt (at least a partial one) :P

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Watched it again.

My city is having a crazy hot housing market right now and suburbs like White City are developing like mad. Maybe buying a $100,000 house in Regina's central ghetto would be a good investment in the next few decades...

A bit of a tangent, but I think too many people are watching "Sell This House" and "Flip This House" on TV. It's almost impossible to find a fixer-upper anymore. Even the raunchy neighbourhoods are getting polished up for this seller's market.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Eh. Alarmist. But it does have some merit. Then again, what doesn't?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
A bit of a tangent, but I think too many people are watching "Sell This House" and "Flip This House" on TV. It's almost impossible to find a fixer-upper anymore. Even the raunchy neighborhoods are getting polished up for this seller's market.
Depends where you live... My hometown is deflating, and the rate of deflation is picking up Some just don't want to see it though. Houses get taken off the MLS and then re listed at a lower price. Then lower. Eventually, someone will offer more than what was listed and.... Hooray! We got more than we asked (but wait... didn't we lower our price significantly?). But, hurricane season is approaching - we'll see what happens then :P

And what really sucks -- the commercial and industrial zoning isn't deflating at the same time (it's still going up!) My father is moving the family business (which requires an industrial zoned warehouse) literally down the street... And holy crap - the cost continues to rise But at least it will kill a 30 minute commute

-----
Thanks again for the link - just finished watching

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Registered Member

I saw this a couple years ago. Excellent film. I highly recommend it to... well, anyone and everyone. The issues raised are excellent.

A note to the users of this site though, while hyper miling IS a good thing, it isn't the best thing. Many people note that they walk/bike when they can. Keep in mind though, even these forms of transportation depend on oil. Unless you are hunting animals for their hide and making your own shoes, you are still contributing to the depletion of oil if you walk or bike. Tires are made of rubber, and we all know how tires are made!

I do have one criticism with this movie. They are NOT pessimistic enough!! One gentleman says that he is looking for ways to continue his line of work after there is no more oil. Well, sorry to break it to you bub, but when there is no more oil, things like journalism kind of lose their meaning. Plus, how the hell are you going to make paper and ink, and print the damn newspapers when you have no oil to fuel these processes.

Our world that we know (in advanced countries) is going to cease. This will happen when the oil wells run dry. Learn to farm and hunt, as anyone under 50 will end up needing these skills to survive in the future. Mark my words on that.

If the points I brought up interest you, I suggest reading things from authors such as Jerry Mander.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote