The Future of Cars and Energy / Newest Tony Seba Lecture - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm a car guy, don't really need a second car, but I've always appreciated the clever design and engineering behind the Honda, always wanted one. It's one of very few hybrids with a manual box, a must have for me, especially in a car with this much power! Usually I wouldn't be able to afford to run 2 cars, but as both my cars are low emissions and therefore road tax free, and do upwards of 60 MPG, they are both extremely cheap to keep on the road. Only done one tank, but looking forward to experimenting with it.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I'm a car guy, don't really need a second car, but I've always appreciated the clever design and engineering behind the Honda, always wanted one. It's one of very few hybrids with a manual box, a must have for me, especially in a car with this much power! Usually I wouldn't be able to afford to run 2 cars, but as both my cars are low emissions and therefore road tax free, and do upwards of 60 MPG, they are both extremely cheap to keep on the road. Only done one tank, but looking forward to experimenting with it.
What's the condition of the battery, Paul?

I'd think a battery replacement with a 14 year delta in technology would be quite a change.

I suppose you've already joined many Insight owner groups, too.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

The battery is getting weak now, I got the car cheap as a result. I revived the battery just by regular use, it had been sitting a while, the warning light has now extinguished and the car runs well. Obviously not as well as a new battery, which can be had for about £2000 fitted now. I'm delaying it as long as possible. Yes I joined Insight central for some much needed battery advice, but I'll be hanging out on fuelly for the foreseeable future

Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
The battery is getting weak now, I got the car cheap as a result. I revived the battery just by regular use, it had been sitting a while, the warning light has now extinguished and the car runs well. Obviously not as well as a new battery, which can be had for about £2000 fitted now. I'm delaying it as long as possible. Yes I joined Insight central for some much needed battery advice, but I'll be hanging out on fuelly for the foreseeable future
Paul, with battery chemistry improving yearly, you may want to be sure you get the MOST current battery replacement. In other words, if you opt for a replacement in 2018, be sure the battery pack was made THAT year.

With posting such great diesel MPG numbers, you were the LAST of the Fuelly regulars that I thought would go with an EV.

Are BOTH cars for you or is there a 2nd driver under your roof?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

Doug, yes I've done my homework on the battery pack. If I do decide to get a new one, it will be a proper job, not just a refurb with new sticks/cells. Luckily despite thier rarity, there is a big following for these little cars and there are several reputable companies that make new battery packs, not to mention grid chargers that help revive and maintain old or new packs too. There are lots of options out there.

It's not an EV (electric vehicle) but a hybrid assist, there is no option to drive in full electric mode. Instead, like a formula one car, the car generates battery boost whilst accelerating gently, braking or simply coming off the accelerator. Once the battery is over a certain level, you can use the boost to accelerate, overtake or go up hills etc. It eases the load off the engine and therefore saves fuel.

Diesels still generally work out more efficient than most hybrids, I may get slightly better MPG'S in the Honda, but it compromises other things like comfort and practicality, petrol is slightly more expensive, and the Honda needs an oil change every 10,000 miles, twice as often as my diesel. A diesel will not compromise, you can still have a nice refined, quiet, quick powerful car will all the toys and comfortably seat 5 people, and still get great economy too. Will it work out cheaper overall? Well fuelly will tell me over the coming months!

Old 06-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Doug, yes I've done my homework on the battery pack. If I do decide to get a new one, it will be a proper job, not just a refurb with new sticks/cells. Luckily despite thier rarity, there is a big following for these little cars and there are several reputable companies that make new battery packs, not to mention grid chargers that help revive and maintain old or new packs too. There are lots of options out there.

It's not an EV (electric vehicle) but a hybrid assist, there is no option to drive in full electric mode. Instead, like a formula one car, the car generates battery boost whilst accelerating gently, braking or simply coming off the accelerator. Once the battery is over a certain level, you can use the boost to accelerate, overtake or go up hills etc. It eases the load off the engine and therefore saves fuel.

Diesels still generally work out more efficient than most hybrids, I may get slightly better MPG'S in the Honda, but it compromises other things like comfort and practicality, petrol is slightly more expensive, and the Honda needs an oil change every 10,000 miles, twice as often as my diesel. A diesel will not compromise, you can still have a nice refined, quiet, quick powerful car will all the toys and comfortably seat 5 people, and still get great economy too. Will it work out cheaper overall? Well fuelly will tell me over the coming months!

So the EV part of the Insight is to use the electric motor JUST to get the car rolling from a dead stop? Then the gas engine takes over from 2nd gear on up?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Registered Member

No, it's directly linked to the engine rather than the wheels, so the engine is always running, it just assists when accelerating when needed for extra power, and less fuel usage. It also fires up the engine, no ticky starter motor noise, it just fires into action straight away. When going downhill, the engine acts as a generator (using no fuel) and recharges the battery, along with the regenerative brakes. It's quite fun to drive, becomes a game trying to get as much charge in the battery as you can.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

You mentioned the battery suffered from disuse. Why did then former owner lose interest with driving the car, Paul?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

He was a retired car dealer selling a few cars on the side to supplement his pension. He only buys to sell them, doesn't drive regularly. They are kept on a farm, I'm not sure how long the car had been sitting.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
So the EV part of the Insight is to use the electric motor JUST to get the car rolling from a dead stop? Then the gas engine takes over from 2nd gear on up?
It might also allow the engine to completely shut off during coasting, since it can fire everything back up faster than the typical starter motor.

I don't recall if the first Insight had an 100% electric A/C compressor, but that makes even a mild hybrid more efficient than just start/stop in warm climates.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote