The Mini EV, get involved now! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation The Mini EV, get involved now!

I would consider this a call to arms folks. If you want a Mini EV, please read the following email I received and get involved!

Here are some news articles about it:
Mini Cooper Going Electric For USA In 2009
Electric Minis Headed For California

Email I just received from MINI:
Quote:
Hi Reuben,

Thanks for writing MINI. We are pleased to learn you share our interest in greener motoring!

We also share your concern for preserving the environment. Public information on The BMW Group's innovations and technology can be found on the BMW Group website, www.bmwgroup.com, by selecting "Research & Development." Please feel free to visit us there and browse www.clubofpioneers.com and www.bmwcleanenergy.com.

Due to the unexpected, overwhelming response, MINI is currently reviewing our plans regarding the evaluation, test drives and distribution of the new MINI EV. Right now, it's not determined yet and details will be released with plenty of time for our customers to take advantage of this new technology. Regrettably, no further information is available at this time.

I might suggest signing up to be an Insider on our website. This will alert you to the latest and greatest news going on in the MINI world. To become a MINI insider is simple. When you launch www.miniusa.com, go to "Get In The Loop" and select "Become an Insider." From there you can create a username and password and fill in some basic information. Once you have done that, you're all set!

If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

LET'S MOTOR.
Ron Young
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (275.6464)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 7/24/2008 12:00:00 AM
To: miniassist <miniassist@internal>
Subject: How can I get one

First name: Reuben
Last name: Gathright

question/comment:
I would like to place an order for the Electric Mini Cooper.

Additionally, I have several people who want to make a reservation as well. Please give me detail that I can pass on to them.

MINI USA VP Jim McDowell made a statement today that you were making mini Cooper EV's in 2009.
FYI: I did know where to place this... so if someone wants me to move please PM me.

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

the 100 mile range is pretty awesom.

the 50k is pretty steep though.

did they say anything about charge times or how much a charge will cost with a given electric rate?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Trouble with the Mini as an EV is that space utilisation in it is obscenely awful already, so where are batteries gonna squeeze in? Seriously, if Alex Issigonis the original minis designer had that much room to work with, same overall dimensions, it would have been a 7 seater minivan with fold down beds and an optional removable kitchenette that fit in the trunk space.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

BTW, Issigonis did do a "bigger Mini" with similar exterior dimensions, it was restyled however before release by Pininfarina and the styling dated quick. Ergo not so much an evergreen classic as the mini was. It was the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 and was generally acknowledged to have the same interior space as a standard european sized "family car". My Grandad had one, it could get 3 people across the bench on the back and 3 in the front bench. It was 600lb lighter than that BMW thingi. The "BIG" mini type the 1800 was only about 8 inches longer also, and still narrower and lighter. Those were cavernous, a little bigger than a crown vic interior, towards some of the lincolns.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
the 100 mile range is pretty awesom.

the 50k is pretty steep though.

did they say anything about charge times or how much a charge will cost with a given electric rate?
My own research has shown that to go 100 miles in a 4,500lb vehicle (including batteries), you would need a 30Kw battery bank. Calculating in the loss of power during the charging process (upwards of 25%) we get 37.5Kwh.

37.5Kwh X $.15 (current Entergy rates when factoring miscellaneous fees) = $5.625 per 100 miles.

As far as room, you can store batteries in the engine compartment because the press is claiming a "transmission free" car. Additionally, the Toyota Prius makes good use of the back seat for storage. Although, I would be happy driving a two seat Mini Cooper that has a large trunk compartment.

One problem that I think Mini will find is that the batteries tend to heat up during use and charging. Keeping the batteries batteries cool will be a challenge for them. In fact my own battery charger overheats a Group 31 AGM battery after two hours of charging and has to cycle back to protect the battery from "cooking itself".

For more details and to see the basis of my calculations visit: Idaho National Labratory -Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity

For a direct comparison, look at this electric S-10 made my Cheverolet. The truck used a 27.17 Kwh NiMh battery bank and had a range of 93 miles. Dare I ask why GM does not just restart making these trucks?
Did you know the truck sells for $27,000 used on Ebay?
Electric S10 Details
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

WOW!!!!!

that makes the 50k not look so bad.

still a little rich for my blood (not to say that it isn't worth it)

hopefully the price will come down in years to come. either that or I can maybe get a used one in a few years.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Trouble with the Mini as an EV is that space utilisation in it is obscenely awful already, so where are batteries gonna squeeze in?
The nice thing about batteries is that they can be made to fit virtually anywhere. In addition to sharing the engine compartment with the motor, remember that space occupied by the gas tank?

Lithium polymer batteries could easily provide that kind of range within that much space.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
The nice thing about batteries is that they can be made to fit virtually anywhere. In addition to sharing the engine compartment with the motor, remember that space occupied by the gas tank?

Lithium polymer batteries could easily provide that kind of range within that much space.
I guess they will have to use that 6 inches or so between the exterior skin and the interior trim on the sides.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

Well the power to mass and volume ratio for lithium batteries is about 8 times that of lead and comes in small cells that can literally be packaged up to fit around anything. I doubt they need the sill space or other unusual places, but they should be able to take advantage of every last square inch in the usual places. Their real obstacle most likely is temperature control.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Meh, make the A B and C pillars into heat pipes and radiate it off the roof