This place seems dead... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: This place seems dead...

I have a project in the works, but I haven't posted a thread about it here. My plan is to post a thread once the car is running and I have a few tanks of gas in it. It's my 1980 Buick LeSabre. I'm keeping the 4.1L V6 and putting a T5 5 speed manual transmission from a Chevy S10 behind it...then I'm going to see what kind of fuel economy I can get. I'd also like to give it TBI, mainly because I hate carburetors.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Registered Member

I don't know if the other sites have seen decreasing traffic, but another reason could be the economy. As much as I'd love to buy a CRX HF or (older) Insight right now, I'm postponing major purchases for the forseeable future. I'm just happy I have reliable transportation and I'm healthy enough to use my bicycle for occasional trips.

~Bill

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

The down economy should be a reason to increase traffic on sites like this...saving fuel = reducing costs. Also, if you haven't got the money to go out on the town, maybe you'll hang out on a forum instead.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The down economy should be a reason to increase traffic on sites like this...saving fuel = reducing costs.
True.
The big thing, as others have posted, is the price of gas. Gas goes up - forum activity goes up. I, for one, enjoyed the political discussions which have been removed. I understand that they were seen as a distraction from the primary purpose of the site so I won't say any more about it.

~Bill
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffmeistro View Post
And the number of people who violently attack anyone who doesn't own a compact gas miser doesn't help.
AMEN.

I believe that this site is about the education of increasing mileage in whatever you drive. I happen to like small cars. Not everyone does. For those who don't, there is a lot posted on this site about how to increase efficiency in full-size vehicles and so-called guzzlers. Every little bit helps.

Go out there and drive, be comfortable, and have fun doing it! There is no use being miserable behind the wheel.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I have a project in the works, but I haven't posted a thread about it here. My plan is to post a thread once the car is running and I have a few tanks of gas in it. It's my 1980 Buick LeSabre. I'm keeping the 4.1L V6 and putting a T5 5 speed manual transmission from a Chevy S10 behind it...then I'm going to see what kind of fuel economy I can get. I'd also like to give it TBI, mainly because I hate carburetors.
This sounds awesome, and is exactly what I just posted about.

Let us all know how it goes.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

I also miss the political discussions. I never felt that they were a distraction. It is enjoyable and enlightening to talk about different ways to conserve fuel and resources, but there is more to life than just saving gas. And politics does affect our lives in many ways, including at the gas pump.

Lately, I've found myself logging into geometroforum.com. Typical day might find about 50 threads with new posts, usually several posts/thread, whereas here might be about 15 threads with new posts.

BTW, J2TR, gas, at least here, IS over $3/gallon. I've been paying $3.24/gallon for the cheapie premium gasoline. Were I buying regular, it'd still be $3.04/gallon.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #18
jmf
Registered Member

There are 15 posts on this thread yesterday, Thats not dead. I also liked the political discussions. I liked that the political debate would get pretty heated at times then the same people would be helping each other out in a defferent thread.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 AM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

Unfortunately, it was a lot of work to moderate the political forum. It had to be patrolled quite often as many of the discussions would inevitably end up personal in nature, and with only 10 total members adding themselves to that group, and a small moderating staff of only 3 active moderators with full time jobs, the decision was made to stop supporting that forum.

Politics is still permitted, but only as it directly relates to vehicles, fuel economy, or energy itself.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote