Those are some warm rotors - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Those are some warm rotors

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've seen some pictures from the Rim of the World rally, had some brake rotors glowing just about like that...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #3

I had a Ranger friend tell me he watched a woman riding her brakes down a long, steep downhill in Hawaii Volcanoes NP. She pulled into a parking lot, and he went over to advise her to gear her car down and not ride her brakes so much.

Her reply was a haughty, "But this is an SUV!," like it was the key to invincibility.

About that time, my Ranger friend told me, her red-hot rotor melted a brake line, pouring flammable brake fluid onto said red-hot rotor, and the SUV caught fire and burned up.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

As a counterpoint to that, the other day I got out of my car at work, and reached in and touched my brake rotor. It was very much touchable, about as warm as the tires were. Driving without brakes!
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
As a counterpoint to that, the other day I got out of my car at work, and reached in and touched my brake rotor. It was very much touchable, about as warm as the tires were. Driving without brakes!

My brakes get like that when I'm bedding the pads in but I never thought to photograph them. Season the rotors in the oven and then bed those pads immediately after install. You know you've done it right if the rotors are gold when you're done. I've only done that with carbon metallic pads tho, I didn't on these ceramics I'm running and they're dusting more than I'd like.

That lady is an idiot. An SUV is MORE reason to use engine braking! I hardly use the brakes at all on mountain roads.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post

Her reply was a haughty, "But this is an SUV!," like it was the key to invincibility.
Saw something similar years ago when ABS brakes were coming on the car scene.
A driver charges off the freeway just ahead of me down an off ramp at about 90 Kph (55 mph) (advised speed was about 60 (35 mph) due to a set of traffic lights at the bottom where the offramp crossed a main road) and jumps on the brakes with the inevitable result...a three car nose to tail shunt.

The "logic" was..."but... but I have ABS on my car" Jackass.

I thought at that point we really should be IQ testing car licences as some of these people are just too dumb to drive a car !

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm coming round to the idea that the ideal "safety car" would be a cross between a Corvair and a Pinto, with 145 wide hard compound crossply tires, 5 inch drum brakes all round, no driver seatbelt, a knife in the middle of the steering wheel and a row of 3 inch spikes all over the dash.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I had a Ranger friend tell me he watched a woman riding her brakes down a long, steep downhill in Hawaii Volcanoes NP. She pulled into a parking lot, and he went over to advise her to gear her car down and not ride her brakes so much.

About that time, my Ranger friend told me, her red-hot rotor melted a brake line, pouring flammable brake fluid onto said red-hot rotor, and the SUV caught fire and burned up.
Got to love Karma eh?

It's a shame that the automakers have to waste so much time making the car smarter and safer since the general public can't take responsibility for being a safe driver.

Just think of what cars could be like if drivers were smart, the automakers could be making 50mpg easily.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

Brings back memories of working for Porsche 85-87, at the old Riverside track, now condos, at the famous turn 9, a banked slow sweeper, we would stand in the center of the 180 degree corner at night watching cars come in off a 145 mph straight and it would be like search lights circling around you coming off the hot rotors, wish I would have had a film or video camera back then.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Yeah, I'm coming round to the idea that the ideal "safety car" would be a cross between a Corvair and a Pinto, with 145 wide hard compound crossply tires, 5 inch drum brakes all round, no driver seatbelt, a knife in the middle of the steering wheel and a row of 3 inch spikes all over the dash.
Somebody should photoshop that car into existence.