Uh, DAX!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Driving on E

Uh, DAX!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...QQcmdZViewItem

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:10 AM   #2

Ok, so that is just too good and too close for me to ignore. I'm talking to Tammara today.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Ok, so that is just too good and too close for me to ignore. I'm talking to Tammara today.
YAY!

That puppy will take a lot of love to get running, but it's only like an hour away from you!

yay!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #4

OMG, Matt...Tammara said I could buy an N600 *and* fix up my hatch if I let her get a teacup chihuahua...looks like I'll be watching this one closely and maybe owning it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what you can see, what do you honestly think (in dollars) it's going to take to get it on the road? I'm just looking for a ROUGH ballpark. What about getting parts...like a steering wheel? I mean, I'll need your hookup on the parts people!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
OMG, Matt...Tammara said I could buy an N600 *and* fix up my hatch if I let her get a teacup chihuahua...looks like I'll be watching this one closely and maybe owning it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what you can see, what do you honestly think (in dollars) it's going to take to get it on the road? I'm just looking for a ROUGH ballpark. What about getting parts...like a steering wheel? I mean, I'll need your hookup on the parts people!!!
Wow! She DOES love you

from looking at it, here is what I see you might need:

The first alarming thing is the missing oil cap and the missing brake fluid cap. They should be easy enough to find. I can give you a guy's name in CA that has a bunch of stuff, or there is Mike O'Connor in your neck of the woods (he's in North Carolina).

You're going to need new spark plugs, new points, new condenser, oil filter, fuel filter... You can get all of that from Mike for $35 on ebay. He sells a tune-up kit. Really good deal. You'll also have to clean out the fuel tank (i'd just take it to a muffler shop), and I'd recommend getting new fuel lines. The fuel lines you can get by the foot at Pep Boys and other stores... I bought like 8 feet and I have plenty left.

You MIGHT have to get new sparkplug wires. I'd recommend it just because it's one less thing to worry about. Be sure to get 7mm straight boot solid core wires. You'll understand why when you get into the coil.

New air filter would be nice too, those run about $35 (from Mike O'Connor again... NOS). The coupe I bought today had a custom foam air filter... I'll take a picture.

Seats look really good. I'm sure they'll clean up nicely.

And then there is the steering wheel. If you want to stay stock it might run you between 50-100 for a decent one (I totally just made that number up, but I'm just guessing)... You'd probably want to contact Tim Mings in Califonia to get that piece. Mike O'Connor might have it too though. A guy local to me just put an aftermarket steering wheel on his n600. Looks like a go-kart... it's cute.

Rear bumper looks crooked, but I think that someone just took it out and didn't put it back in all of the way. The lights are missing some plastic though. As you can see in this picture ^ the reverse lights are broken out. It's a common problem. I believe that Bill in San Diego had a bunch made. If not I can help you find them. I'm guessing $10/ea (that's too much I'm sure) for the reverse lenses.

front bumper looks bent in the middle. This would concern me, as mine was dented and the front valance is all dented as well (still don't know how I'm going to fix that) but your front valance looks fine. You'll probably have to get your front bumper straightened and rechromed. That cost me $300 to have done at Salt Lake Chrome. They did an AWESOME job, even if they took an extra week and a half to get it done. They do mail orders too.

You'll probably have to replace your sway bar bushings, and that costs around $50 for the set I believe. The ones Honda put on these cars were inferior rubber and they melted off all of the time. The ones Bill in San Diego had made are awesome. This isn't a total neccessity, but it's recommended.

You'll need new tires. You can order them through tirerack.com, but you have to call them to make the order. Just ask for 145R10 and they'll have them out to you quickly. Those cost around $35 each.

Assuming the engine is good and the carb is in good shape, you should be in business. Engine rebuilds get rather pricey, so you might want to get a new cam chain for $60 and a few other small things and hope that the car runs for a while.

If you want these guys' email addresses I'll send them to you in PM.

Oh, and don't let the amount of work bog you down... you WANT THIS CAR!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Driving on E

oh, if this car doesn't have the hubcaps, I have three extras I can sell you for cheap.

When I removed my tires I also removed the rust (wire brush), sandblasted, and repainted them with silver wheel paint. The wire brush part was easy, but sandblasting sucks. I'd just as soon pay someone to do that for me unless I had a sand blasting booth... which I don't.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Found you a z600 steering wheel on ebay, don't know if it is interchangeable with the an600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...spagenameZWDVW

Here's a z, but no glass, hood, headlights. Also no floorpan rust though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...QQcmdZViewItem
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
*shrug*

Stop messing with that stuff and buy a z1 already.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Supporting Member

You make funny? z1 don't worky in z, correcto?
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 AM   #10

OK Matt, I'm going to look at it today and am pretty sure I'm going to get it. How exciting!!!!!!!!

It sounds like there's still a few dedicated people out there that have parts or can get them made. The prices you've said don't scare me, and I'm actually looking forward to the work involved. Rechroming bumpers - I have a place local to here that does EXCELLENT work (I had my 914 bumpers done, you can kind of see how good they look HERE). I'm super excited! Did I say that already?

When I go look at it today, are there any rust areas I should look for?

***EDIT***

I just called the owner. Here's the story: He owns a tow truck business and just picked the car up from a customer to take to have scrapped. The customer told him it was a 1971 Honda Accord (haha). When he picked it up, he realized it wasn't an accord and could probably get more money by selling it than scrapping it. The customer's wife was making him get rid of it, but he said it ran fine in 1991. The seller doesn't know much about them, but he's been honest and said there is not much rust but some in the floorboards and under the car. If my camera is in my car, I will take some pictures today.