Underappreciated Movies/Shows - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #31
Registered Member

Not under appreciated, but possibly unknown to younger people: Paths of Glory.

Under appreciated was really the wrong term for me to have used for this thread. What I really meant was "reasonably unknown but worth checking out". My idea was that there's not much point in recommendations for things people have already heard of. I have a few cult favorites, but those aren't really unknown, for example.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #32
Registered Member

i was intrigued by Scientific American until i saw this...http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...wor-2008-12-29

this writer conveys a hard left agenda. of course there are health risks considering the behavior. a mistake vs a lifestyle of mistakes(perceived or not) taxes the love relationship between parent and child. love removed causes illness.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #33
Registered Member

That you view their statistical analysis as supporting what you consider a politically left position is irrelevant to its accuracy, unless you're accusing those running it of deliberately manipulating their data. They stress in the article that the reason for the link is unclear. It is not an opinion piece.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
That you view their statistical analysis as supporting what you consider a politically left position is irrelevant to its accuracy, unless you're accusing those running it of deliberately manipulating their data. They stress in the article that the reason for the link is unclear. It is not an opinion piece.
accuracy? the data MAY(or may not) be unmanipulated, but the opening 2 paragraphs state a clear agenda pushing for acceptance. the first one, in particular, is in fact an opinion, as it uses "intolerance" and then later explains the link is unknown.

they are using perceived rejection of very young people who could have ALREADY had irresponsible thoughts and behaviors. kids w/ broken/disfunctional homes, inner city environment, social disorders, etc would no doubt have these same "symptoms."

you want a link? it's troubled kids, PERIOD!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #35
Registered Member

intolerance - an attitude of not accepting or respecting different opinions, practices, or people

The first two paragraphs explain what the statistical findings of the study were: homosexual children who's parents are not OK with them being gay (ie intolerant of their stated sexuality) are more likely to experience depression and to engage in risky behaviour than those whose families accept them being gay. Some of the details of those sampled are then given and then the exact cause of the correlation is stated to be unknown. If you subtract the first two paragraphs, it would be very difficult to know what the study is claiming to have found.

If you still think it's biased, start a new thread and let this one return to unknown entertainment worth checking out.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #36
Registered Member

fair enough max. it seems our perceptions of movies, articles, and politics are at odds. remember, you were the first to digress, but it is your thread.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #37
Registered Member

A movie I've always thought was overshadowed by its remake is Yojimbo. I thought it was much better than A Fistful of Dollars. The sequel, Sanjuro, was terrible though.

To be more useful to people, I sorted all the movies and shows brought up in this thread and put the Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB ratings next to them (when available). The ratings are only good for so much, but you all knew that already. Wish they'd include the standard deviation as well as the mean. I also linked to the IMDB page about them, since some movies share names. Hope I didn't mess any of the links up.

I'll add the list to the original posting as well for new people who come along.

Breaker Morant ( 100% / 8.1 )
The Bucket List ( 41% / 7.5 )
Carnivale ( NA / 9.1 )
Coupling ( NA / 9.2 )
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (10% / 3.7 )
Flirting ( 93% / 7.0 )
Generation Kill ( NA / 8.9 )
Island in the Sky ( NA / 6.9 )
The IT Crowd ( NA / 9.0 )
Man Bites Dog ( 88% / 7.6 )
The Man Who Would be King ( 100% / 8.0 )
Over There (NA / 8.1)
Paths of Glory ( 92% / 8.6 )
Raise the Red Lantern ( 96% / 8.0 )
The Sandbaggers ( NA / 8.9 )
The Shawshank Redemption ( 89% / 9.2 )
The Shield ( NA / 8.9 )
Taking of the Pelham One Two Three ( 100% / 7.7 )
UHF ( 52% / 6.6 )
Ultraviolet ( NA / 8.4 )
Who Killed the Electric Car ( 89% / 7.7 )
Yojimbo ( 97% / 8.3 )

co de pen den cy

Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #38
Registered Member

good site. after searching a bit, i discovered a spot on accessment(terrible) of Fahreheit 9/11 even tho it scored 7.1 w/ user comments.

and Fahrenhype 9/11 was said to have much more factual content and was better made!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
Registered Member

Yojimbo got me thinking of other good subtitled films.

Raise the Red Lantern was great, but what's not to like about Gong Li?

Man Bites Dog is a well done black satire. Be aware that Man Bites Dog is quite violent, by design, since one of the things they're satirizing is media glorification of violence.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
I really enjoyed the HBO mini-series / seasonal show called Carnivale.
Just saw the first episode and I really enjoyed it. Excellently done as HBO stuff tends to be. Feels like it might become a little too surreal, but as long as it stays clear of that I think it will be great. Thanks for the suggestion!

co de pen den cy