Underappreciated Movies/Shows - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #41
Registered Member

Another for the list: Manhunter. This was the first movie adaptation of the novel Red Dragon, but because it was the 80s the producers didn't want a Kung Fu sounding title. A bit of Michael Mann 80s directing cheese, but I found this to be much better than the 2002 remake with Edward Norton and Anthony Hopkins (that time actually titled Red Dragon). This is particularly true of the way Dr. Lector was portrayed, with him not being the English gentleman madman (and overdone idea), but more inherently off putting. Brian Cox did a fantastic job with the role.

Imdb: 7.2, Rotten Tomatoes: 94%.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #42
Registered Member

yes, but Hopkins is by far the best actor in either of the makes.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #43
Registered Member

Most of the reason Lector was better was director approach. Cox has definitely done some mediocre work, although I think Hopkins gets a bit too much praise sometimes. Norton was terrible in Red Dragon. Yeesh.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #44
Registered Member

i'll grant you that Cox is prolly underapprecited.

he plays a good "bad guy" even when it's not a decisive role. he was great in the Bourne movies, as well as X-Men and Troy. i'd like to see him in a leading role, now that he's more seasoned.

i was REALLY disappointed when he was not made-up as a young Stryker in the new X-Men! his replacement, well...
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #45
Registered Member

The Bourne movies really surprised me. I didn't care for the books much (didn't read past the second), but really enjoyed the films. I imagine a lot of bad acting from good actors is the result of bad scripts and directing.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #46
Registered Member

Snatch
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.
Fight Club
Minority Report (Despite Tom Cruise)
Paycheck
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #47
Registered Member

The Shield is the first one that comes to mind...it was in some ways a lot deeper than it looks on the surface.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #48
Registered Member

The Shield is really great, but it's gotten a lot of fairly recent publicity. That's why I haven't been adding a lot cult stuff to the thread, since I figure people will've already heard of it most likely. Apparently when they were first casting for The Shield, FX had such a bad reputation that actors the producer had never even heard of were refusing to audition for it.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Snatch
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.
Fight Club
Minority Report (Despite Tom Cruise)
Paycheck
if you HAVE to site fight club, then i must site 12 monkeys. brad pitt in my view is a terrible actor, but he was phenominal in that one.

the scene in the asylum when he meets bruce willis is NO QUESTION the funniest of any movie EVER, not considered a comedy, PERIOD!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #50
Registered Member

Pitt can be pretty good IMO, I also liked The Mexican and Seven years in Tibet. Didn't appreciate his more "commercial" films that much... I think when he does a script because it's "interesting" he's a lot better than ones he does for the $$$ or because the studio says so.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote