Up to $2k rebate for efficient cars (not just hybrids) in CDN budget - guzzlers taxed - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #21
kps
Registered Member

OK, so a Jeep Patriot or a Chevrolet Impala qualify for a rebate, but a Honda Fit doesn't. That'll help, uh, someone.... Maybe Honda could add some lead weights to the Fit to make it qualify as a minivan.

kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
Registered Member

Apples to oranges. That's the flex-fuel E85 regulation (for the Impala - I think the Patriot is just the most efficient non-hybrid SUV - though I could be wrong).

To make the Fit qualify, Honda just has to make it better (or add E85 capability). An optional taller 5th gear or final drive would put them over the top. (I'd rather see them do this than E85 - since you can't even get E85 most places.)

And it would reduce fuel consumption, which is the point of the exercise.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #23
Registered Member

What I don't like about this whole rebate thing is that most won't make the EPA numbers but if you show documentaion that you can beat it in your own older car there's no break for you. I rather give a fuel rebate to someone in a fireflea that get's 70 mpg than a FF van that gets 17mpg. I guess it would be to easy to cheat and impossible to track but there are lots of older cars out there that will beat those numbers. Find a why to base it on actually numbers.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Registered Member

Yes, in an ideal world, our ScanGauges would all connect via WiFi to the government's Central Rebate Computer which would cut our efficiency cheques at the same time it calculates our road tax based on distance driven, and our fines owed to the police departments for speeding.

But seriously - I think that, as in the US, the E85 rebate is a loophole which will be abused.

But I'm behind this efficiency-based carrot & stick system. I look at it this way: perhaps with this approach, in 5 or 10 years we may have more efficient "older" cars to choose from again (assuming consumers & manufacturers respond to it).
Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
I look at it this way: perhaps with this approach, in 5 or 10 years we may have more efficient "older" cars to choose from again (assuming consumers & manufacturers respond to it).
In the U.S., the consumers are responding(at least a sizable section of them), but the manufacturers refuse to produce something that will compromise sales of more profitable models.

The most efficient cars for the next 5 years will probably be the Prius and perhaps some form of TDi when VW brings them back here.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
Registered Member

TheStar.com - Green rebate expected to fuel Toyota sales

Quote:
Booming Toyota Canada Inc., the country's leader in green vehicles, is increasing its sales forecasts after the federal government's introduction of up to $2,000 in rebates for buyers of new fuel-efficient cars.

Buyers of Toyota's subcompact Yaris and Corolla compact, which are already among the top five selling cars in Canada, will receive $1,000 rebates under the federal program. New buyers of the Prius and Camry hybrids will get $2,000 and $1,500 respectively.

Beatty said Toyota would raise its sales forecast significantly for some models like the Yaris.
more: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/194225
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #27
Registered Member

Thinking about the Aveo/Wave question...

I just had a quick look, and the Daewoo Kalos (the same car in European and Asian markets) is sold with three smaller engine options than the 1.6 we get in North America. All 4-cylinder, they have 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5L displacements.

Surely one of these would let the car meet the $1K rebate threshold. GM could hike the price of the car by $500, and still undercut the Yaris by $500.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the action in response to this program will be in the price-sensitive econobox market. I'm sure that ALL the manufacturers selling 3 and 4 door hatches here already have EurAsian market engines they could offer that would move their car into at least the $1K rebate category.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
Registered Member

In a ideal world you wouldn't have cradle to grave government and numb skull folks that believe in big brother. Sounds like the Big brother thing is alive in well in Canada.

I just wrote my politicians promising a war on my part if they dare do something stupid like this. I also advocate pulling our industrial interest out of Canada. And tightening up the borders.

The thought of this sickens me to my core. Things have to change... God knows they do. But to go to such government in your face orders. I just don't get it. Nor the people that support such insanity.

All this is going to do,, at least if it comes to the states is make a busted machine worse. I guess our neighbors up north love the sheep and the rock rule. Good luck sheep,, cause it looks like your government is squarely on the rock....

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
*shrug*

Umm.........yeah?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #30
Supporting Member

MetroMPG -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Thinking about the Aveo/Wave question...

I just had a quick look, and the Daewoo Kalos (the same car in European and Asian markets) is sold with three smaller engine options than the 1.6 we get in North America. All 4-cylinder, they have 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5L displacements.

Surely one of these would let the car meet the $1K rebate threshold. GM could hike the price of the car by $500, and still undercut the Yaris by $500.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the action in response to this program will be in the price-sensitive econobox market. I'm sure that ALL the manufacturers selling 3 and 4 door hatches here already have EurAsian market engines they could offer that would move their car into at least the $1K rebate category.
Does this sound like a mild version of the Japanse "Kei car" class to you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car

Based on what you said, the law would encourage automakers to offer smaller engine displacements.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote