Well, I bought the Miata... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Well, I bought the Miata...

I have been wanting to start buying and selling cars on the side for a while now. My uncle has a dealers license and goes to the auto auctions every week to buy cars so he can sell them on the side. He deals with high end cars mainly because he can afford to. I have been wanting to start buying cheap (sub $2000) cars and selling them on Craigslist or Autotrader for profit.

Anyways, so I have some cash saved up and saw an oportunity to pick up a Miata so I jumped on it.

I bought it from a friend of a friend... I was at a poker tournament at his house and walked out into his garage to grab a beer and saw this Miata sitting there. I asked him about it and after talking a bit he said he wouldn't mind selling it. So we negotiated a price and I drove it home on Saturday morning.

It's got a clean title, in excellent shape, always been garaged, and has only 112k miles on it. He gave me receipts for thousands of dollars worth of work. Judging by the way the Miata market has been going I don't think I will have a problem selling it for a profit.

I am planning on driving it for a few weeks before I sell it. I really like the way it drives, and I am half tempted to keep it. If I keep it I will definately do a gas log on it, although I don't think it will do very well with the top down. lol

Anyways, here it is in all its glory. It's stock other than eibach springs and bilstein struts. Oh, and the wheels are straight out of the 80s! This thing would look so much better with a set of Panasports!

What kind of milage do you think I can get in this thing?? I'm thinking if I leave the top up I could pull 30+.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nice find, 90!

I love these cars. Looks, I could take or leave (agree with your wheel assessment!). But they are such a blast to drive - like a big go-kart.

If it were mine, I'd probably not track my mileage. It's going to be low for its size, weight & power, due to: the spirited driving it encourages; short gearing; and bad aero (with the top down).

You're going to have some fun.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

just track the mileage anyway i'm curious
Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Custom Boattail!!!!
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Looks like I might be keeping it.

It's just so much fun to drive. The only thing is, I just got done building my Honda which I put tons of hours and money in to.

Anyways, I haven't been driving it this week because I took the top off (I ordered a new soft top), and it's been raining here. Once I get the top I will daily drive it (hypermile style) and see what happens.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Looks like a fun ride - I was also contemplating one. Please do keep a log of your mileage, it'll be good info to have.

Oh, and I agree about the panasports - that would be much better.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote