Why American cars suck - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-21-2021, 01:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

We don't get the raptor/F-150 here, but the grill is very similar. My friend has just traded his in for a new one with engine mentioned and says it's much quicker than his older one with the larger engine.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

As you guys probably already know, Ford had discontinued almost all new passenger car sales in the US. The only new Ford cars selling in the US will be the Mustang and the GT. I've always been a Ford fan and actually own a small position. I was skeptical when they announced the end of most cars here but in the end I think it was the right decision. Their margins were terrible and the product line was worse. I test drove a Ford Fusion before I bought the Mazda and was very disappointed in the Fusion. It felt very cheap and performance was weak. I hate CVT so I guess I'm biased against most small cars that aren't stick shifts.

Kevin

Kuripot_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

It's odd because in Europe, fords focus and fiesta are some of the best selling cars available, both are in the top ten. I guess it's what the video says, rather than offering something that people actually want, instead they focus on convincing people it's something they need. Different market approaches over the pond.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Lower gas prices makes any larger car more attractive. And then people wanted tall wagons.

We were going to get the Focus Activ, the hatchback with crossover flair, a few years ago, but the tariff nonsense at the time had Ford cancel it.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:38 AM   #15
Registered Member

I'm curious why Ford cars were selling well in Europe. Are Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, and Kia put at some disadvantage compared to Ford there?

Kevin
Kuripot_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Ford can make good cars. Some of their best were designed by the European division.

My guess with the Asian brands is that the European domestics offer more competition in the smaller car segment. It was the Americans essentially ignoring that segment here that let them establish themselves in the US.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #17
Registered Member

The Asian brand do make some very good small cars due to over populated cities like Tokyo etc. But Europeans still demand a car that drives, performs and handles well, and whilst the Japanese brands offer fuss free reliable motoring, most are extremely dull and boring to drive. The offerings from Ford and French brands focus heavily on chassis control and handling, and on trans euro mountainous road trips, people want to enjoy the drive as well as the scenery. Asian brands are considered more of an appliance, but they're not the first word in "driver involvement".

Old 06-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuripot_Kevin View Post
I've never had a problem buying foreign. I'm cheap, hence my name "kuripot". I buy what I think is the best deal. The F150 ford is still king in the USA though. I have one but it's almost 20 years old. The Accent served me well but I finally grew tired of driving it. I like the Mazda. I bought my wife a Honda.

Kevin
F150 is a US pride. I have been a fan since I was a kid, more specifically the Raptor. If not for fuel economy, I have chosen a Raptor. Well, my brother got one and we'll be building it as a weekend toy. Waiting for the tire mounting and alignment to finish this week and we'll ready for the off-road trip.
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorX View Post
F150 is a US pride. I have been a fan since I was a kid........
Back in the bronze age - after getting a good job after college - I was seriously pursuing

getting a Ford F-100 pickup - flathead V-8 with an overdrive transmission (IIRC)..........

My sharper, brighter concerned colleagues talked me out of further pursuit.

I always liked the 239, overdrive and little - buy today's standards - pickups...............

ez
ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

There is a possibility that someone else could more clearly explain this, but it's a result of the oil crises of the 1970s. In essence, gas was becoming costly and America was producing huge block gas-guzzling vehicles in the era. In the meantime, Japan was recovering from World War 2 and oil stricken had been able to spend two decades developing as well as refining efficient fuel cars and got very good at it.

As the oil crisis erupted, Americans could not afford to keep their vehicles running, so they started selling them and buy economical Japanese automobiles. American producers quickly responded to the changing market requirements, but they did so at great cost because of the American automotive sector being awed by this. The cars were made cheaply and had poor engines and had numerous reliability and quality problems. On the other hand, manufacturers like Toyota and Honda gained a reputation in the US in this period.

The problems persisted through the 1970s and into the decade of 2000, with America being neglected and outdone by Japanese and European brands. Today, based on the brand you're purchasing this isn't the situation any more. A person who's knowledgeable could probably help me out on certain particulars.

EyesFit is offline   Reply With Quote