Why don't we see more SUVs in the GasSavers garage? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #51
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to occupant Send a message via AIM to occupant Send a message via Yahoo to occupant
When I figure out the garage thing (haven't even looked at it yet), I'll enter my log data from the Moose. Should be interesting to see how much higher it can go when it's fully tuned and summer arrives. 15 is my goal and if I reach it I may shoot for 17 or more. Then again there has to be a ceiling on a 5600lb vehicle which has the aerodynamics of a Zenith console television set.

(did find a 1996 3-cylinder Metro for sale near me on eBay...$280 so far but hasn't met reserve...wish me luck...and if it doesn't run I'll put it in the back of the Moose and haul it home LOL)

occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #52
kps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
Suppose someone drives 10000 miles.
* Going from 12mpg to 14mpg (2mpg improvement) saves 120 gallons.
* Going from 24mpg to 28mpg (4mpg improvement) saves 60 gallons.
* Going from 36mpg to 42mpg (6mpg improvement) saves 40 gallons.
Following myself up, it might be interesting to have a third top-ten list, ranking gas saved (vs EPA). The easy way would be as above, "gas saved per notional 10000 miles", which is a trivial calculation from average MPG. The hard way would be to calculate the actual gas saved in the last N miles on a tank-by-tank basis (probably N would be a few thousand; something close to what the average driver does in 90 days). Either way, the list would have no overlap with the top-ten MPG and might help get more people interested.

kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
It actually does look more obvious if you invert the units, for this example lets convert the MPGs to gallons/10000miles (just divide 10000 by the mpg number):

* Going from 833g/10kmi to 714g/10kmi (2mpg improvement) saves ~120 gallons.
* Going from 417g/10kmi to 357g/10kmi (4mpg improvement) saves ~60 gallons.
* Going from 278g/10kmi (36mpg) to 238g/10kmi (6mpg improvement) saves ~40 gallons.

Since we have a common denominator, life is easy. 278g-120g = 158g, 10000/158 = 63mpg. Where did I get 84mpg from?!?
Now imagine you lived in almost any other country where they have Liters/100 Kilometer Oooh what a wonderfuly easy to convert world it would be!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #54
Supporting Member

kps-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
Following myself up, it might be interesting to have a third top-ten list, ranking gas saved (vs EPA). The easy way would be as above, "gas saved per notional 10000 miles", which is a trivial calculation from average MPG. The hard way would be to calculate the actual gas saved in the last N miles on a tank-by-tank basis (probably N would be a few thousand; something close to what the average driver does in 90 days). Either way, the list would have no overlap with the top-ten MPG and might help get more people interested.
This sounds like a very good idea, because there are lots of ways to represent the data.

Why is there a problem with smaller segments ? For each entry, the user is either above or below the EPA combined MPG. If user travels X miles, the EPA MPG would predict Y gallons needed to cover those miles. If you subtract the actual gallons from the "Y" gallons predicted, you get the gallons saved. If the gallons saved is negative, then you are above the EPA .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote