Windshield Washer Fluid $$$ - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

i use the blue stuff in the winter, just soap and water in the summer. of it getting cold i just dump a bottle of rubbing alcohal in and its good

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Just get some Silicone rubber blades and you will not change them for 10+ years and they work great. I have a spare one from my Geo that I bought in 1994 that is on my xB now and I bought a second new one because they are longer than the passenger side Geo spare blade.

Usually a little dish washing liquid added to the washer fluid really helps cut the oil film on the glass. The blue stuff leaves stains on my white paint all the time but is there to prevent someone from drinking it. Will have to check into this Rain-X fluid at wm.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i use the blue stuff in the winter, just soap and water in the summer.
What kind of soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Usually a little dish washing liquid added to the washer fluid really helps cut the oil film on the glass.
I like where this is going...
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have always used Simple Green diluted to around 5 % added to the washer bottle.
Cheap , effective and biodegradable and no horrible smell when you operate the washers at highway speeds and the smell comes in through the cabin inlet vent at the base of the windscreen.

Winter temps here are relatively mild (rarely below freezing even in the coldest part of the season) so freezing is not a problem but high temp evaporation can be.

Simple Green stay mixed as well. I have used dishwasher detergent but it seems to sink to the bottom of the container over time.

Cheers , Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

When I was in charge of the ambulance fleet at the rescue squad I was intent on getting the most out of my budget. I only bought washer fluid in the winter. Spring, summer, and fall the trucks were filled with water with a squirt of dishwashing detergent. Saved a lot of money because we went through a few gallons a week. At the end of the year I had money leftover to buy nice stuff for the trucks.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Registered Member

I remember in my younger days an experience with windshield washer fluid. My dad, trying to save a buck or two, used water. Unfortunately, the majority of the reservoir was filled with water. That coupled with Michigan winters spells big trouble.

In the summer water alone should suffice, but when old man winter comes blowing around the corner, whether it is $2 or $5, put the RIGHT stuff in!
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah I run water in the summer too but run it down and add the blue coolaid because freeze cracking the fluid container in the car is a big problem to replace - the xB has it build into the front fender in front and to the right of the radiator.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

Its easy to replace the reservoir in Rusty and the BWH, but its hidden under other stuff in The Beast.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:20 AM   #19

Anyone have a recipe for the blue stuff minus the blue coloring? I too have seen it $3-4 a gallon and I KNOW it is not worth NEARLY that. I try to buy the yellow stuff on clearance when I can, but I'd love to know what to get.

I CAN find the power washing fluid for about $1-5 a gallon - it's supposed to make 25 gallons but I don't know if that would work for washer fluid, or its effects on car paint, although I suspect it's the same stuff concentrated.

My guess - 1 gallon of power washing fluid plus 1 gallon of rubbing alcohol plus 25 gallons of water? Totally a GUESS - but can anyone confirm? The real recipe would be invaluable.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I have always used Simple Green diluted to around 5 % added to the washer bottle.
So that's just Simple Green 5% and water 95%, or was that Simple Green added to something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Anyone have a recipe for the blue stuff minus the blue coloring?
It's definitely got methanol in it. I'd say any alcohol should work. The point is to force it to evaporate quickly after dispensing it, and to be a solvent that can cut grime.

I found this:
http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipe...d_Washer_Fluid

Quote:
I CAN find the power washing fluid [...] I suspect it's the same stuff concentrated.
I don't think it is. It smells very different and is more soapy in use. I think I'm going to try it.

Quote:
My guess - 1 gallon of power washing fluid plus 1 gallon of rubbing alcohol plus 25 gallons of water? Totally a GUESS - but can anyone confirm? The real recipe would be invaluable.
If you only have 1 gallon of each, make 1/4 or 1/2 the recipe and keep the rest so you can raise the concentration easily.

A couple other ideas:
  • Any kind of glass/window cleaner, like Windex, especially cheap concentrate from the dollar store or an industrial cleaning supply store.
  • Rain-X treatment (not washer fluid) includes instructions for diluting it to use as glass cleaner (like Windex). Perhaps the same formula would work for washer fluid.

I this thread. I was going to buy some washer fluid at WalMart, but now I'm going to experiment with stuff I have around the house.