Wisconsin Gas Station Closes Pumps - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Wisconsin Gas Station Closes Pumps

Well, in an interesting "Peak Oil" documentary i watched, it said as gas prices continue to rise, people will start crazy protests, and such, even to the extent to vote for anyone who promises lower oil prices. Even though none of this will actually lower gas prices.

It's BEGUN! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/..._price_protest

My favorite part of it is this comes from some very money conscience person out to save the world haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria McClory, 38
Maria McClory, 38, drove 10 miles out of her way to buy a diet soda from Pollack's station after seeing local television coverage of the protest.

"I just wanted to support them and thank them for making a statement," said McClory, who drives about 100 miles a day for work in her sport utility vehicle.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

I just filled up at the cheapest place in the city (actually an aboriginal reserve 5 kilometres out of town). It was absolute madness! 30 minutes waiting in line, the fuel attendant had to give me a number when I went into the store, and I had to show my receipt in detail to the fuel attendant before I could even get into my car again.

All that so I could get gas for *only* $1.185 a litre (normal brand-name prices are $1.259 a litre).

I don't even want to know how crazy it will be in July/August . A simple cross-province road trip would cost a full 2-week paycheck at minimum wage in fuel alone if I was driving a 'normal' car.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

If the owner really wants to make a difference, he should put gassavers.org stickers on the pumps.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
; I wanted to say that the customer quoted and the store manager are both idiots.
have to agree.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

"I just wanted to support them and thank them for making a statement," said McClory, who drives about 100 miles a day for work in her sport utility vehicle."

Priceless. People are just too stupid to act in their own best interest. You ought to have to pass some kind of IQ test before you are allowed to complain. Disappointing, really. I mean, where will our country go if we don't raise smart young people? Sigh.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Supporting Member

yup people just want everyone else to do it for them its sad
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
where will our country go if we don't raise smart young people?
We'll find out soon enough. My age group are complete numb-nuts!
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
I just filled up at the cheapest place in the city (actually an aboriginal reserve 5 kilometres out of town). It was absolute madness! 30 minutes waiting in line, the fuel attendant had to give me a number when I went into the store, and I had to show my receipt in detail to the fuel attendant before I could even get into my car again.

All that so I could get gas for *only* $1.185 a litre (normal brand-name prices are $1.259 a litre).

I don't even want to know how crazy it will be in July/August . A simple cross-province road trip would cost a full 2-week paycheck at minimum wage in fuel alone if I was driving a 'normal' car.
The Creek Nation Travel Plaza here in Okmulgee had a fuel sale the other day. Everybody else in town was 3.12 to 3.19 per. gallon. They where at 2.99. The wait to buy gas was up to one hour. The station I trade at was one of the 3.19 ones. And yes I did fill up there that day. The owner of the station only makes 3 to 5 cents per gallon on fuel. Then factor in credit/debit card fee's and she would loose money on fuel if she didnt charge the fee's back to the cust. I have a acct. at the station I pay in full every two weeks. I purchase my beer, cigs, gum and candy there also.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
We'll find out soon enough. My age group are complete numb-nuts!
Bawhahahaha! The fact that someone in 'your age group' recognizes that fact means there is still a dim chance of success !
Thanks for the a.m. giggle
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

While cheaper gas is great, next time before waiting so long for it, figure out what your time is worth. I'd wager that at a full fill of 15 gal. for most people, waiting an hour doesn't justify the $3 saved from even a price cheaper by 20 cents. Even if you had nearly 30 gallons to fill, $6/hour is still pushing the limit of what it's worth for most people to wait.

For that reason, unless I know a cheaper relatively quick fill is close by, I typically get gas wherever I need it.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote