Yaris vs. Fit thread - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #11

I think for most purposes, comparing the Fit and Yaris is like comparing Apples and Oranges - yet I see EXACTLY where you're coming from .

IMO, comparing a Matrix to the Fit may be more along the line of a somewhat even comparison. I haven't checked lately, but I heard they were making a 2.5 standard in the Matrix in '07.

I still like the Yaris 3dr. Maybe in a few years I can find a nice low mileage one...........

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
Driving on E

I personally have no idea why Honda didn't offer the 1.3L engine here in the states. They could have easily appealed to the FE crowd with that option.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i dont think the fit compares to the matrix. the matrix has a larger motor and is a much larger car, but i see where you are coming from.

i think comparing the fit to the yaris is like comparing apples to pears. there are some similarities but now i think you are right, they are different.

i also agree with matt, i wish they offered the 1.3l engine. i also wish that 5th gear was a little longer.

in generic "niceness" i think the fit is a nicer car. i know for some people that is a down side because some people dont want power windows or power locks, but the fact that honda didnt even consider making the fit without lots of those creature comforts and conveniences seems to say something about what their base model is.

i think toyota is really gunning for the true 'gassaver' while honda is going after people who have saving gas 2nd or 3rd in their priorities
Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

Comparing Yaris to Fit is apples to oranges. Yaris should be sloted against the little Korean Chevy. Or against others like MINI and such. Or say past US cars like VX, Festiva, Justy and so on.

Fit should have been a Civic Wagon. Or came a shore with the 1.3 or a oil burner. Id sloted as a Civic Wagon it would look much better in the eyes of the consumer. And it cost way to much for what you get as a micro hauler. Paddle shifting means little to Americans and means huge margins for greedy Honda. Couple that with the cost of the car. Keeping a used Ranger, Yota, Chevy or Nissan Pick up parked around back for semi real hauling when needed means much to me. A Fit or Yota box is very unappealing over all. I would rather have a Civic or Accord Sedan and a old Ranger than a Fit or Yota box. Im very thankful for the gas eating Ranger when I need it. Or,,, the heck with it. Some times I just want to drive a truck. It maybe a gay truck. But it works its *** off to try and be a real truck. I sure wouldnt want to haul my new furniture home in a box on wheels or go to the lumber yard in one. And I wont rent or pay for something I can do for myself.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
..Honda didn't even consider making the fit without lots of those creature comforts and conveniences seems to say something about what their base model is....

i think Toyota is really gunning for the true 'gassaver' while Honda is going after people who have saving gas 2nd or 3rd in their priorities
For the first part... It really doesn't say much about the base, but it does say something about the target audience Which brings me to that second part -- I absolutely agree

I drove a Mercedes 240 diesel for a little while... Really, the only reason you see ANY of those on the road nowadays was because it didn't have power windows, power locks etc. Well, it had vacuum locks, which was pretty cool (until you lock/unlock too many times with the car off ). It was built like a tank, had the comforts of a tank, sounded like a tank -- and when the door shut -- chachunk! - like a tank

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #16

I was originally going to say the Xb or Xa. That would be more of an Apples to Pears comparison. When putting the Xa up against an Xa, Fit is hands down a nicer car, but the Xa is a true gassaver. I'm not brand loyal between Toyota or Honda, owned just as many - maybe leaning towards Toyota because I've had but-load of Tercels.

Any Versa owners to add that into the mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i dont think the fit compares to the matrix. the matrix has a larger motor and is a much larger car, but i see where you are coming from.

i think comparing the fit to the yaris is like comparing apples to pears. there are some similarities but now i think you are right, they are different.

i also agree with matt, i wish they offered the 1.3l engine. i also wish that 5th gear was a little longer.

in generic "niceness" i think the fit is a nicer car. i know for some people that is a down side because some people dont want power windows or power locks, but the fact that honda didnt even consider making the fit without lots of those creature comforts and conveniences seems to say something about what their base model is.

i think toyota is really gunning for the true 'gassaver' while honda is going after people who have saving gas 2nd or 3rd in their priorities
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

Fit should be compared with the Versa, Matrix, Aveo, Rio5, XB and PT Cruiser: cars that can haul considerable stuff in cargo area. (The Fit can carry more than the CRV believe it or not, thanks to the "magic seats"!) It gets the best gas mileage of any of the above. If all you need is a one-person commuter, the Yaris is better. If you need a powerful engine the versa or matrix is better.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkandell View Post
If you need a powerful engine the versa or matrix is better.
hehe... you said need a powerful engine If there's one thing I need (it's a haircut), it's not a powerful engine

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Registered Member

The mission of the Yaris Lift-Back is:

Get-To-Work or Get-To-School

...and in the process save lots of $$ on gas, maintenence, depreciation, and insurance.

It's mission is not much more then that. I realize one can use it other ways, but I think what I listed is it's core values. And for these requirements, it is better then the Fit because it provides higher MPG, and the Yaris is better then all the Korean brands because it's Japanese (more dependable), so the Yaris is the best of both worlds. Also the Yaris is a little more $ then the Korean brands, but less then the Fit. Also, the Korean brands often have bigger engines, less power, and lower MPG!

The Yaris is not for someone that needs to haul lots of stuff, although it's 40/60 seats can be folded down to provide more space then you might expect.

The Yaris is around $2,500 cheaper then the Fit having comparable features/add ons.

Get a Fit if you need the extra room...this requirement aside, I find no other reason to get a Fit over the Yaris. Both cars are equal in build, quality, and reliability/durability.

Having said all that, I love the Fit, think very highly of the Honda, and basically have nothing against the Fit....but for my purposes the Yaris Lift-Back is a better way to go...and besides, I don't think the Fit is worth $2,500 more then the Yaris, even if it provides more room...

The Yaris is a commuter car...the Fit is more, but if all you need is a get-to-work/school car, get the Yaris.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGaser View Post
Get a Fit if you need the extra room...this requirement aside, I find no other reason to get a Fit over the Yaris. Both cars are equal in build, quality, and reliability/durability.
Other than that last statement i agree with everything you said.

I dont think toyota can get a car to handle as crisply as honda. reliability and durability sure they are equal, but fit seems to love abuse, also contributing to worse mpg.

The more i think about it the more it is clear it is definitely is a matter of personal preference.