You know when you got a car addiction when you spend $312.75 a month on a 7 year old car. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

You know when you got a car addiction when you spend $312.75 a month on a 7 year old car.

Seriously, OH MY GOD.

I got to stop making these mpg tests. With these high gas prices I can't afford to do these mpg runs. Plus I bought the stuff from home depot for the belly and not to mention the $27 oil change. Let's not forget $100 a month for car insurance.

Just for work alone I spend $120 a month in gas costs alone.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Driving on E

Do you own oil changes.

Do you own oil changes. Instant $20 saved.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Actually I do the oil

Actually I do the oil changes. I buy synthetic for $6 a quart. Which is 4 bottles. Plus the Nissan filter.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Driving on E

Re: Actually I do the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Actually I do the oil changes. I buy synthetic for $6 a quart. Which is 4 bottles. Plus the Nissan filter.
holy crap.

That's a lot of money for oil.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Actually I do the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
holy crap.

That's a lot of money for oil.
I came in there and they were bull****ting me about inflation and the cost of oil. I paid $5 a quart before.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
oil

I hope you are using the oil long enough to justify using synthetic - my buddy with the F150 likes to throw away the mobile 1 after 3000 miles which is crazy when the oil is good for way more than that. I was told when I got my Geo to change it every 3000 miles - NOT - 6k -8k and it (the motor) didn't care, maybe once the oil got a little beat and mileage dropped a little but usually if I did any high speed long trips I would have to add a little oil anyway. Nice thing about having a small block with only 1 gallon of coolent is that it warms up fast - at least it did anyway when it was new - as it broke in and got tefloned it took much longer to warm up and this keeps the oil from getting waterlogged. Anyone seeing cleaner oil with acetone use?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #7

I use cheap oil ($1.19/qt)

I use cheap oil ($1.19/qt) but I RELIGIOUSLY change every 3K. I think it's essential for a long lasting, CLEAN engine. Open the valve cover of an engine with 200K miles that has had regular oil changes and it is apparent.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Driving on E

Re: I use cheap oil ($1.19/qt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I use cheap oil ($1.19/qt) but I RELIGIOUSLY change every 3K. I think it's essential for a long lasting, CLEAN engine. Open the valve cover of an engine with 200K miles that has had regular oil changes and it is apparent.
On a side note, I opened the valve cover of my n600 and the camshaft was BLACK. The rocker arms were BLACK. Oh, the oil is black too.

Any idea how to clean one of these puppies without taking it apart and cleaning it? Will this seafoam stuff work for this application as well?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member

you can check out

you can check out www.bobistheoilguy.com they talk about detergency of oils and how well cleaners work etc.

Alot of info on a product called Auto-Rx, not a lot of positive info on seafoam in the crankcase. Some people are using Marvel Mystery Oil as a quick cleaner, dump a quart in, run at idle for 5-10min then drain and do oil change, heard that works really well. A lot of people over there say that the "engine flush" stuff is way to harsh, and the risk is not worth it.

They also like to recommend running 15-40 Diesel oil to help clean things out as well.

Check it out, you'll enjoy it.
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #10

Re: I use cheap oil ($1.19/qt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
On a side note, I opened the valve cover of my n600 and the camshaft was BLACK. The rocker arms were BLACK. Oh, the oil is black too.

Any idea how to clean one of these puppies without taking it apart and cleaning it? Will this seafoam stuff work for this application as well?
You may want to call a local machine shop. When I had some head work done, it looked like a melted chocolate bar all inside the upper part of my head when I dropped it off. When I got it back, it looked brand new. Maybe they can tell you what to do to clean it...dunno if it will work with the head on the engine still though.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote