Z28 is back on the road after 3 years. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Z28 is back on the road after 3 years.

Fetch, maybe it's an Ohio Valley thing man... I've been in your situation more than enough to understand. Let's just say, it was by far a stroke of dumb luck that I broke the car when I did and it sat for 3 years... coincidence? Not really. Insurance companies go back 3 years in your driving record to adjust your rates by infractions.

But now, I'm 25 and I have a lot to lose... lets hope I can keep a level head about myself, at least most of the time anyway.

Since you told a kill story, I gotta share one.

The 2nd day I had the new clutch put in the car a few years ago and was still trying to "break it in" I was merging on the highway behind a brand new 350Z. As soon as the on-ramp ended into the interstate he dropped the hammer and swerved for the fast lane. I knew what he was doing but I couldn't help myself, I pulled aside him at about 75mph after I caught up, I yelled out my window, "I paid a thousand for this!" we went at it and I left him before I even got out of 3rd gear. Took it to about 130 and shut down about 6 car lengths ahead of him.

That's probably my best kill story to date.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Fetch, maybe it's an Ohio Valley thing man... I've been in your situation more than enough to understand. Let's just say, it was by far a stroke of dumb luck that I broke the car when I did and it sat for 3 years... coincidence? Not really. Insurance companies go back 3 years in your driving record to adjust your rates by infractions.

But now, I'm 25 and I have a lot to lose... lets hope I can keep a level head about myself, at least most of the time anyway.

The 2nd day I had the new clutch put in the car a few years ago and was still trying to "break it in" I was merging on the highway behind a brand new 350Z. As soon as the on-ramp ended into the interstate he dropped the hammer and swerved for the fast lane. I knew what he was doing but I couldn't help myself, I pulled aside him at about 75mph after I caught up, I yelled out my window, "I paid a thousand for this!" we went at it and I left him before I even got out of 3rd gear. Took it to about 130 and shut down about 6 car lengths ahead of him.

I got pulled over running 136 in the Civic on the Lloyd Expressway in Evansville. I was drag racing an 80s 5.0 Cougar and my brother's new Highlander. They both had the traction and the torque, and left me at the light. I went back by at 60-80 mph, and stayed in the gas. I saw the cop at the same time he saw me....

My brother later bought that car, and just wrecked it. He also compiled a long list of tickets in his first months of ownership. The car isn't hurt too badly, so it's time to replace the bumper and front valence...

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post

I got pulled over running 136 in the Civic on the Lloyd Expressway in Evansville. I was drag racing an 80s 5.0 Cougar and my brother's new Highlander. They both had the traction and the torque, and left me at the light. I went back by at 60-80 mph, and stayed in the gas. I saw the cop at the same time he saw me....

My brother later bought that car, and just wrecked it. He also compiled a long list of tickets in his first months of ownership. The car isn't hurt too badly, so it's time to replace the bumper and front valence...
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

I've never been in a "fast" FWD car so I can't really compare. Been in tons of overpowered f-body cars. Torque is so enlightening. My friend who is a turbo-fanatic likes my Z for the torque... we were leaving a shopping center Friday evening and I gave him the 1-2-3 on cold tires and he was like, "DAMN I NEED ONE OF THESE!" He claims to be shopping for an fc-chassis Rx7 now to swap in an LT1.

Was coming home from a date Saturday night and what pulls up aside me at the red light....??? A freakin brand new metallic blue ZR1 with a brand new black M3 behind it. I thought for sure we were gonna run em (ie. they were gonna maul me) but surprisingly they both eased out the clutches and kept it to a dull roar. In appreciation of their cars, I just glared at them as they passed, drooling... ahhhhhh so sexy.

Went under a bridge a few car lengths behind them and dumped 3rd gear walking sideways a bit as if my car was pouting in frustration. lol I bet they got a laugh out of that in their rear veiw mirrors.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

For the Miata, I recommend Flying Miata's, Greddy makes a basic turbo kit for 2300. As always, road racing, S.C.C.A., and autocross, the best magazine I can recommend would be Grass Roots Motorsports. Every year they do a 2000 challenge, it matches the year and this year will be a cap of 2011 dollars. Most of the cars they race are Miata's, BMW's, Mustang GT's. I think your Camero will dial right into some good competition.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust

Might I recommend an LS1 PCM swap, and then an EFILive tune with the Holden lean cruise install. SHould really increase your MPG. I plan on a TDI and water methanol, or an LS1 with EFILive, and nitrous with methanol as the fuel.

GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote