Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
XFi
Registered Member

XFi Drivetrain For Sale ... Perkasie, Pa

SOLD, NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Hello all,

Ran across a rusted XFi and selling complete car on Ebay $550 obo
(sorry Darin, this one runs too good to steal the camshaft out of)

See Link Below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230025947581

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

That's all right. Thanks for thinking of me!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
XFi
Registered Member

Pics now posted.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
See that...now I KNOW I read that the Xfi had a different camshaft & transmission (which is supposedly what made it so much more of a FE car over the other types of Metros). Anyway, I thought I read a couple of other message board postings (not gassavers.org) where a few Xfi owners swapped in a camshaft from a "regular" Metro and claimed to have gotten higher MPG's. Is this a farse?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
XFi
Registered Member

Camshaft Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D.
See that...now I KNOW I read that the Xfi had a different camshaft & transmission (which is supposedly what made it so much more of a FE car over the other types of Metros). Anyway, I thought I read a couple of other message board postings (not gassavers.org) where a few Xfi owners swapped in a camshaft from a "regular" Metro and claimed to have gotten higher MPG's. Is this a farse?
Actually, GeoMetry from this site did this swap and had good results. MetroMPG is thinking about it

Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

Oh, I'd say I'm past thinking about it. I'm fully willing to try it if I can get a cam, and see what the SG reports. It's not a difficult task to do the swap.

My understanding is the XFi cam has a lower lift & duration which favours low-end performance over peak power (high RPM). Also, the lower lift means less energy expended compressing valve springs, though I don't know how significant that is in the overall picture.

Someone suggested to me recently: racers install stiffer valve springs to reduce float at high RPM. Economy minded drivers who rarely exceed 3000 RPM could install softer valve springs to save energy.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

Metro,
I predict that the XFI cam will NOT improve your FE noticeably during P&G. Since your engine is only running about 25% of the time, any efficiency improvement will be quartered. And since you will only be pulsing and not cruising with the engine on, I'm thinking that there won't be a big diff there either. I hate to be a pessimist, just trying to provide another opinion.

Now if you decided to stop P&G and just do mild hypermiling, I agree that you may see some benefit.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

I agree about the cam not making a big difference with P&G.

On mainly highway trips, though, I tend to just DWL rather than P&G. Like Brick, I'm of the opinion that P&G is harder on the machinery (clutch & hot soak issues), so I don't use it all the time.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
...wha? I just did a search for "P&G" and "DWL" and came up with nothing. Hypermiling? what the...? Is there a list of acronyms to supplement this board? Also, the super-high MPG posts...those are from legitimate driving, right? I'd hate to think I've got all these pipe dreams about high MPG and someone is inflating the numbers by mimicking that Honda Insight "experiment" that those bastards did....driving in a circle, shutting the car off, coasting hills with a wind to their backs, etc. I'm looking for consistency...otherwise what's it all worth?! right? Geez, sorry to sound like such a pessimist. I really enjoy this board.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Careful about the "bastards" comment. Some of those drivers may have posted in this very thread.

You have to decide what techniques you want to use or not. Labels like "legitimate" are kind of subjective. There's a range of techniques at your disposal, some are more involved than others, and not all are appropriate for your vehicle, locale or traffic conditions.

I don't think any of the figures on this board are "inflated" - they're real consumption figures, obtained by people employing different mods & techniques behind the wheel.

There's a driving primer here with Driving With Load and Pulse and Glide mentioned here:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....&highlight=dwl

Pulse and Glide:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=346

Also a glossary here:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....light=glossary

Closed Thread