Catalytic Converter Needed - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Catalytic Converter Needed

I need a catalytic converter for a 1996 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 Cyl. Z-Tech engine.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Bump

#47 on my way to #1
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

if OEM fit is not a concern, a universal CC has worked fine for me. it actually was cheaper for my mechanic to weld a universal than for me to bolt on an OE one.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

The problem I have with a universal converter is that the factory coverter is a direct bolt onto the exhaust manifold and the opening in the top of the converter is about a 4 or 5 inch hole and I can't figure out how I could make a universal fit in place of the OEM converter. A new unit from Ford is about $900. for this car, but I've got to have an operational converter to pass emmisions testing. I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.
#47 on my way to #1
Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
The problem I have with a universal converter is that the factory coverter is a direct bolt onto the exhaust manifold and the opening in the top of the converter is about a 4 or 5 inch hole and I can't figure out how I could make a universal fit in place of the OEM converter. A new unit from Ford is about $900. for this car, but I've got to have an operational converter to pass emmisions testing. I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.
You would be very surprised what a sawzall, a universal cat, and some pipe adapters can do.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

yup. mine's a funny story. my mechanic has a minority partner who didn't want to put one on my car(cutting and welding involved).

so i priced my EOM direct fit bolt-on, then went back to see my mechanic's price. the majority owner said he'd do it(for less), and as it turns out, his partner ended up doing it anyway!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.

I agree totally. In the late 80's, long before emissions testing I had an exhaust leak in the CC of my 1980 Bonneville wagon. I wanted to just find a cat in a salvage yard, but they wouldn't sell me one. A replacement at the time was $400. Being a high school kid I wasn't going to put $400 into it. I took the car to a welding shop where they jacked the car up, and welded the cat back shut so it didn't leak anymore for $10.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote