Graduated Cylinder (I found one!!) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Graduated Cylinder (I found one!!)

The more I experiment, the more tedious it becomes to measure 200ml of fuel out...

Where can I find a Graduated Cylinder? Anyone have one they'd sell me?

Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Driving on E

Found a cheap one on

Found a cheap one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRADUATED-CYLINDER-250-mL-KIMBLE-20025-K-TEKK-NEW_W0QQitemZ7599244829QQcategoryZ119122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Matt. My fault

Thank you Matt. My fault for not specifying a target price of $10 total.

I'm calling medical and lab supply houses right now locally...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
measurement

The Mesaurement is not critical only that it is repeatible and consistant - take a glass bottle and fill it to the very top for each run and pour the contents into the funnel - does not have to be 200-250ml only a full container of fuel each time - best with a small opening on top for exact filling i.e. a beer bottle.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
The Mesaurement is not critical only that it is repeatible and consistant.
Only true if you are going to throw out the results to date and start over.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
results

Well yes and no - if you happen to get a 200ml bottle then you are all set! or even a multiple of 200ml or for that matter you adjust the figures to the new volume of fuel. The new fuel amount will show if the fuel measurement for the prior tests were accurate enough if we still see the variations with the bottle method for measuring fuel. I think a long clear fuel line that you fill up to a mark then stop at another mark would also work ok - you could even run between marks with a hot engine and a running start - the smaller the diameter of the line the more accurate the mark to mark measurement will be. Then you really start to get into the govenor of the engine. You may have to fix the throttle at a constant position and not allow the rpm to vary or be controller by the govenor. Now we are getting into measuring engine parameters while running.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

I like your comments. Let

I like your comments. Let me shed some light into this outside of the experiment forum so it does not become cluttered.

I don't have but a minute so let me just about the govenor

The govenor on ANY small engine is simple : they all have a restrictive intake system. Thats why you can full throttle a small engine and not have it blow up. On cars, we like "throttle response" of which every small engine has none of, therefore the test has, as I have stated from the very beginning, had a fixxed full throttle.
That variable is constant and controlled.

Tommorow I will comment on your personal way to test dirty oil and also about the measuring methods you propose.

Gotta head out to make some money
laters til tommorow!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

JanGeo

Quote:
I think a long clear fuel line that you fill up to a mark then stop at another mark would also work ok - you could even run between marks with a hot engine and a running start - the smaller the diameter of the line the more accurate the mark to mark measurement will be
I invite you to personally use this method and join me in this test.
Quote:
if you happen to get a 200ml bottle then you are all set! or even a multiple of 200ml or for that matter you adjust the figures to the new volume of fuel. The new fuel amount will show if the fuel measurement for the prior tests were accurate enough if we still see the variations with the bottle method for measuring fuel.
I invite you to attempt to find a bottle of this type and then test it with a graduated cylinder to be sure it is indeed 200ml to the top of the bottle lip. And I do agree with your comparison comment after the bottle is shown to be an accurate 200ml. I would like to keep the 6 hours of data I've gathered with my syringe measurements. I know they are 200ml and very close from run to run, guessing within 1.5ml's

Oh, another thing about the govenor (intake size) on small engines. Since our cars are designed with our interests in mind (a tipped balance of power over economy and most importantly cheap parts to make the engine) the intake size is overenginered COMPARED to the mechanicals inside our motors...full throttle on a non-governed motor will blow it. The huge intakes on large motors are the first reason we have throttle response thats "thrilling" over any small engine where it takes considerable time to increase RPM's...

Oh to stay on topic here, I have found a Graduated Cylinder to try out that costs $3.25!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

testing resumes today!

*BUMP*
3-22-06 I found the perfect measuring device

3-24-06 I resume testing with speedway fuel (predicting weather will be very close to last two test sessions, and hoping todays suposed chance of precip remains nonexistant...)