WTB - manual transmission for `92 Civic VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
VX trainee

WTB - manual transmission for `92 Civic VX

Hi:

I need a good used manual transmission for my daily driver....starting to sound awful....kind of like a cement mixer or something!

4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have a DX trans, a little longer geared but its in good shape.

Were are you from?

MY02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox View Post
Hi:

I need a good used manual transmission for my daily driver....starting to sound awful....kind of like a cement mixer or something!
Most Honda d series trannies have the input shaft bearing fail at some point. They are quite easy to replace, and a tranny shop should be able to do it for cheap. I would stick with the VX tranny since it is by far the best choice for fuel mileage for your civic.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #4

www.jdmsource.ca 403 717-4252 Tell him Darren referred you. He ships engines/transmissions all over the world. He also has a bunch of VX engines.
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't mean to be rude, but I have not yet heard a good thing about Canadian Engine suppliers. I have 2 friends who ordered K20's for their civic's from a Canadian dealer, one never got his engine and never got his 3k back, the other got his engine, and had to spend another $1200 replacing broken and damaged parts on it, and it did not come with everything stated, I'm not saying JDM Source is bad, I'm just saying from everything I've heard, one must be extremely careful which supplier he/she goes through.

I always use Hmotorsonline and have bought SEVERAL engines from them, and only once, was there a broken item, and it was over nighted to me free of charge, he can get about anything as well, and his shipping is reasonable.

Also to comment on the vx trans over the Dx, the gear ratio's are different, but the fuel mileage out of a VX is 95% related to the engineering of the engine itself, it is the only obd1 Honda to use a stock wideband O2 sensor, which is why it is so expensive to replace, using a DX or LX transmission would effect fuel mileage, but not near what one would think. I had a DX four door that I picked up for $1... yes 1$ about 3 years ago, put $75 into it and literally drove it to hell and back, and consistently got 40-50mpg no matter how hard I drove it, yes it was stripped completely and taken off road several times, but this is only because I had $76 dollars into it and it was a pile to begin with. I actually made almost $800 off of the car because of a hit and run.

Anyway the point is, I have a good DX trans, out of a hatch, that I would let go for $50, I don't have a use for it, and its just taking up valuable room I have in my garage.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

actually looking more into JDMSources page they look to be more trustworthy than alot of engine suppliers. Especially the call only orders that would make me feel much better, Since they would answer the phone when a person called. Maybe its just other jdm shops that are shotty. I take it back
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #7

I guarantee JDM source will deliver as promised. He sends pictures of the actual transmission/ engine before shipping. They are over stocked with VX's (they dont really sell here). He posted them up for sale here at one time. You can bargin with him. Shipping to the US is really cheap-- They have a good shipping contract Yellow Transportation.
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
VX trainee

I talked with JDMSource today about the trans...$300 for a VX trans delivered (low mileage), or $500 for trans AND engine delivered. He says 30-40,000 miles on it.

Now the big question....my ride has 207,000+ miles on it. It would seem crazy NOT to go for the engine and transmission, right? The engine in my VX is strong, but prior owner was trying to "hot rod" it, and screwed the fuel mileage. This may be an easy way to fix a couple of problems....what do you guys think?
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
*shrug*

500 for engine and transmission, that's not too bad. What all comes with the engine (something you might be able to sell for a bit of dough)?

I would definately say 300 is high for a tranny though, unless you really want to not replace it again for another 200k,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I got my VX tranny from www.car-part.com for $150 and it was 15 miles away.
I would have to disagree on the tranny in a car not making a big difference in mileage, and that is even more so the case with the VX, because the engine is designed to run with that tranny, and it runs better at those lower speeds, as with the stock tranny the engine never needs to rev over 2,500 rpm even when you are going 80mph.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote