Cash for Clunkers extended through weekend - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Registered Member

In case you haven't heard, CARS may be ending real soon...again! Some dealers are exiting the program for fear of not being compensated if funding runs out.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 08-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
Registered Member

Ending Monday.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

well, here's a grade for the program. and this is even before the dealers ahve bee paid(in full)...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...7168933.column
Old 08-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
From the article:
Quote:
The car was a 1986 Ford Country Squire station wagon with a V-8 engine — an enormous, heavy, poster-child vehicle for any definition of "clunker." Yet he was turned down because the revised EPA estimates list his overall fuel mileage as 19 mpg, just over the 18 mpg maximum.

Does anyone really think that 23-year-old car would average 19 mpg? No, and probably no one at the EPA does, either.
Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't get at least EPA from that car? I doubt it.

Quote:
Those mileage figures are based on a computed mathematical mileage formula reapplied to the current standards, not on actual testing of the individual cars that are more than 2 years old.
Its old rating was 18/26 (21 combined), and its new rating is 16/24 (19 combined). Frankly I'm surprised that it rates so high but I bet we could do it.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
Registered Member

Pretty sure, I can usually get at least the new EPA highway as the combined.... and that's without pulse and glide (Local traffic and road situation makes that impractical here) So I'd figure on getting 25 ish... Think they might have had EEC in those even in '86, in which case a later crown vic callibration might get it up to 30mpg highway.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't get at least EPA from that car? I doubt it.
i believe anyone here could beat by 5mpg or more the maximum of 18 allowed, in any vehicle!

so...perhaps even a vehicle w/ a 14mpg estimate could be beat. i believe the author's point was in reference to the age of the vehicle and the average driver.

you'd think a 23 year old V8 powered "boat" would qualify.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Even I've beat my EPA estimate by 5mpg.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #28
Site Team / Moderator

I've gotten 27 out of a late model Grand Marquis with the cruise set on 70. Those Ford full size cars do quite well on the highway. I'vehad experience with several of them through the years:

1988 Lincoln Town Car (My great aunt's car)
1989 Mercury Grand Marquis
1992 Mercury Grand Marquis
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 Mercury Grand Marquis
2006? Mercury Grand Marquis (Not sure of the year, but its not that old, and has less than 10,000 miles on it)

Grandpa loved the Grand Marquis, can you tell? All of the cars above would do at least 25 on the highway with the cruise set on 70.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Registered Member

Cash for Clunkers and high scrap prices hurting demolition derby car supply.

co de pen den cy