2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #111
Registered Member

It's a fine car for two people and as for acceleration, even the 40 HP diesel is no problem in normal conditions. You don't have a chance out-accelerating against the guy with the small d*ck in the Mustang GT, and so much the better

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #112
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
The Smart is practical for ME and most likely would be practical for people in similar situations as me. 2 people who commute together. Let me guess, you've got 4drs on you car but 90% of the time all the other seats besides the driver seat go unoccupied. My ONE passenger seat in the Smarts go unoccupied maybe 2% of the total mileage that have been put on the car. This makes you a very wasteful person by letting those other seats go unoccupied.

Now that you read that - it's obvious that I've never ridden with you and I'm only speculating and just getting you roweled up . Just like you are doing with the Smart right now, but until you get some credible wheel time on a Smart - please don't hate. I have seen many haters change their mind once they actually study up and learn about it - it is almost similar to being prejudice though it is an inanimate object.

All that said - you are correct about the premium. Out of 52 tanks of gas on my car with 16,500 miles I've gotten 3 that were below 40mpg with the last 3 being 44mpg. BUT - do I really car that my care is comparable to a car that get 41mpg, NO! How about my time saved when I didn't have to search for a parking spot, take my passenger and my hourly rate we make and then divide that into time saved because we're in such an "unpractical" little car and it start to tip the scales a bit. This car has honest to goodness saved me HOURS in the last 5 months of ownership on searching for parking spots. Once again - my scenario and others may differ.

It cracks me up you're worried that you have to drive a car that LOOKS like a car. I'm guessing you live in one of those neighborhoods that all the houses look just alike too. Don't follow the herd - live a little for once stop trying be like everyone else and be an individual. The very reason you don't seem to like it is the very reason I love it.
Insight hater? Following the herd? Driving some big car with four doors that is empty most of the time? Not exactly. Actually, I have a Honda CRX powered by a JDM B18C5. And an Insight is almost a CRX, so I really wouldn't mind having one. I just don't like tall and goofy looking cars. I want something low and sleek. Not only do I just think it looks better. I also like something that 'rides on rails' through high speed turns, rather than being tall, tippy, and scary. Furthermore, the power to weight ratio looks downright deplorable (70HP and 1800lb ). Although I have not yet finished my D15Z1 Civic, the power to weight ratio on that car will be quite a bit better, and with fuel economy (on REGULAR fuel) that will blow the Smart out of the water. Oh, and if I ever DO want to drive more than one other person around, the D15Z1 Civic will offer me that capability

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Insight hater? Following the herd? Driving some big car with four doors that is empty most of the time? Not exactly. Actually, I have a Honda CRX powered by a JDM B18C5. And an Insight is almost a CRX, so I really wouldn't mind having one. I just don't like tall and goofy looking cars. I want something low and sleek. Not only do I just think it looks better. I also like something that 'rides on rails' through high speed turns, rather than being tall, tippy, and scary. Furthermore, the power to weight ratio looks downright deplorable (70HP and 1800lb ). Although I have not yet finished my D15Z1 Civic, the power to weight ratio on that car will be quite a bit better, and with fuel economy (on REGULAR fuel) that will blow the Smart out of the water. Oh, and if I ever DO want to drive more than one other person around, the D15Z1 Civic will offer me that capability
That's cool - the CRX was a quirky looking car in it's day too. I "almost" had one back in the day when they were new (we're talkin' 80's) - I loved them! Even went out and got a set of rims for it before I got the car - never got the car as I got a real man's car, 20 year old Mustang that was like new. You do see what happens when we assume though, right.

I'm now past having to blow cars out of the water with my everyday driver. IF I want to do that I'll break out the BIG GUNS, yet when I pull them out of the garage I still don't run them hard against anyone else though I did go ahead and run it against my uncle's turbo'd H22 Civic hatch - - - and yes I beat him. Heck of a fight for a little 4cyl.

I have yet to find it feel tall ,tippy and scary. What do I know since I've only got 18k miles behind the wheel of them so far?......hardly enough to call myself an expert ..... the Smart is a great commuter which is what I use it for. I'm at the age and position now where I can have luxuries such as that even though I'm not THAT OLD. As far as power on the Smart, it is plenty great for anyone with an adequately sized p-nis. Zips through traffic fine and I've grown past cutting in and out of lanes like a dkweed a long time ago - just don't need all that.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #114
Registered Member

Quote:
I have yet to find it feel tall ,tippy and scary. What do I know since I've only got 18k miles behind the wheel of them so far?......hardly enough to call myself an expert ..... the Smart is a great commuter which is what I use it for. I'm at the age and position now where I can have luxuries such as that even though I'm not THAT OLD. As far as power on the Smart, it is plenty great for anyone with an adequately sized p-nis. Zips through traffic fine and I've grown past cutting in and out of lanes like a dkweed a long time ago - just don't need all that.
Then again, I notice that you live in Florida. In other words, you really don't have any hills. And I would not imagine that you have twisty mountain roads, either. So it's not like you really NEED a car with much in the way of power or handling to simply get from point A to point B. I could not imagine taking a Smart for a drive across the Sierra, though. Well, you certainly could if you had to. But only if you HAD to.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #115
Registered Member

I have seen those Smart cars once on the road and the other in the parking lot. They look like a breeze to park in the city.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #116

Quote:
Then again, I notice that you live in Florida. In other words, you really don't have any hills. And I would not imagine that you have twisty mountain roads, either. So it's not like you really NEED a car with much in the way of power or handling to simply get from point A to point B. I could not imagine taking a Smart for a drive across the Sierra, though. Well, you certainly could if you had to. But only if you HAD to.
Where I am at in Florida we do have hills but they are gradual - one reason my mileage isn't as good as it could be. Enough where I have to use gas to go up the hills but not enough where I can glide down over 1/2 mile. Nothing like the Sierra though.

One thing I heard is when the car really bogs down it automatically hits the flashers for you. Never had a chance to have it happen to me though.

I have some twisty hilly roads around here and it is a BLAST to drive! The paddle shifters make it pretty exciting - I wish I could do a video of me going home as it is like a road rally since I live way back on a dirt road - one hill has a cool 30-50ft drop off on one side. I have a lot of people ride my butt on those back roads and I have lot them in the curves. It's still not a race car but it isn't the slug people make it out to be. I don't drive it like that every day either. Very very occasional.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #117
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
I also like something that 'rides on rails' through high speed turns, rather than being tall, tippy, and scary. Furthermore, the power to weight ratio looks downright deplorable (70HP and 1800lb ). Although I have not yet finished my D15Z1 Civic, the power to weight ratio on that car will be quite a bit better, and with fuel economy (on REGULAR fuel) that will blow the Smart out of the water. Oh, and if I ever DO want to drive more than one other person around, the D15Z1 Civic will offer me that capability
the crx doesnt ride like its on rails when you are at the limit on 60+mph turns, its wheelbase is too short. i dont even want to bring up anything over 80mph. not that there is anything wrong with that but he is right... you really should drive a smart first. the smart still has a pretty low center of gravity despite being "tall" and handles really well.

i have no doubts that civic with a d15z1 will get better mileage, but you dont have the peace of mind that you get with a new car and you had to work for it. i prefer your route, but like owner said, its whats best for you and me, not everyone else.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i have no doubts that civic with a d15z1 will get better mileage, but you dont have the peace of mind that you get with a new car and you had to work for it. i prefer your route, but like owner said, its whats best for you and me, not everyone else.
If matt is building the car himself I can guarantee he has a good piece of mind and did work for it - that's if he has built it to a high quality which he might have. I've driven quite a few old cars that I've restored cross country and felt every bit secure about them - that doesn't mean they didn't break down, but I could fix them on the spot most of the time. I did the same once with a restored Mustang and crossed Europe in it - piece of mind because I could fix it.

New car piece of mind is great too but you can get stranded in a new car and definitely have a problem as chances are it's some sort of computer glitch. That's any new car not just a Smart.

Both routes are great routes - old CRX/Civic or a new Smart. It beats an old pickup that gets 6mpg.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #119
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
yea but its all different, when you have a new car you dont feel that its as necessary to keep your ratchet set in the car at all times.

i agree there is peace of mind in knowing i can fix anything myself, but when a car is new i really dont even think about it, ever.

don't misunderstand me, i would love to have a crx over a smart right now. the crx can fit a surf board.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #120
Registered Member

Quote:
If matt is building the car himself I can guarantee he has a good piece of mind and did work for it - that's if he has built it to a high quality which he might have. I've driven quite a few old cars that I've restored cross country and felt every bit secure about them - that doesn't mean they didn't break down, but I could fix them on the spot most of the time. I did the same once with a restored Mustang and crossed Europe in it - piece of mind because I could fix it.

New car piece of mind is great too but you can get stranded in a new car and definitely have a problem as chances are it's some sort of computer glitch. That's any new car not just a Smart.

Both routes are great routes - old CRX/Civic or a new Smart. It beats an old pickup that gets 6mpg.
yea i really want to drive my chevette across country i think it would be fun (gotta fix a stupid carrier bearing issue first ) and really with carbed cars or even old basic computer cars thier easy to fix on the side of the road when and if they break down.

new cars yea usually a stupid sensor goes out and the computer doesnt know what to do so it freaks out and runs like crap...

altho i hate to say it id love to have any year of elcamino...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote