2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #121
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
new cars yea usually a stupid sensor goes out and the computer doesnt know what to do so it freaks out and runs like crap...
In my experience, a couple stupid sensors die and the computer just deals with it, running fine on the data it gets from everywhere else. Then, plug in a scanner, and it takes you right to the sensor. Test the sensor, if it's bad replace it, if it's good then you get to fix a problem before it breaks other stuff (or ignore it).

I too like the simplicity of older cars, but really...even when they were new you couldn't buy them and only do oil changes for 100,000 miles, one tuneup, and then drive another 100,000 miles without a repair.

The only problem my 180,000 mile old 2002 model truck has had that wouldn't happen in an old-tech car is a fuel injection pressure leak. It runs fine and I'm getting 33% over EPA, but I have to turn the key to "On" and wait a couple seconds for the fuel pump to prime before I crank the starter.

Other problems, which would have happened regardless of technology: Wheel bearings (lots of them), an oil leak, and corroded tailgate cables.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #122

18,400 miles as of 11/29/08

On my other Smart, I am building a lightweight small trailer....3' wide x 4' long...... for when I need to take a trip with a good amount of luggage (frame is done, just need a box on it). This will solve the supposed problem everyone seems to think the Smart has of no luggage space. Up to about 21k miles combined miles and they have been my primary driver, I've yet to really see a huge problem we Americans feel of not enough space in our cars for the "what if" scenarios.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #123
Registered Member

there is the fact that only 2 people fit. that has been the deciding factor with me (along with the crap economy that we live in). my wife and I have decided to stick with the two vehicles that we have now. I was also a huge advocate for the third vehicle. it is always good to have a spare. I just can't afford one right now.

I have test drove one myself. I am an odd shaped fellow (no, I won't repeat that) I am 220 pounds and 5'7". I used to be closer to 250. I was experimenting with weight reduction lol. my wife is comperable but 5'3" so we are not small. we test drove one together and had no issues with space or pickup. the trans was strange until we started manually shifting with the paddle shifters. that worked much better.

in some ways, I regret not taking advantage of the smart (I was actually called about one and turned it down) but with gas prices going down, they may be easier to get a hold of if I change my mind. I am actually hoping for them to come out with a manual trans (normal manual) for it and also they have a system where the car cuts off when at stop lights and starts when teh accelerator is pressed (currently not available in the US) I can't remember what the system is called.

I say to anyone that wonders about these little cars, test drive one. they are a blast to drive and they turn on a dime.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #124
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I am actually hoping for them to come out with a manual trans (normal manual) for it and also they have a system where the car cuts off when at stop lights and starts when teh accelerator is pressed (currently not available in the US) I can't remember what the system is called.
The engine-off system won't be compatible with the manual transmission, for sure.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The engine-off system won't be compatible with the manual transmission, for sure.
I do go and pop it into neutral and shut off the engine at lights I'm familiar with and know I'll be sitting at for over 30 or more seconds. Pretty simple as all you have to do is pop it into drive. Mentioned this to the "know it all Smart owners and threw them into absolute fits. Same goes with mention of grille blocks, warm air intakes or anything else a lot of us do here. Very closed minded bunch which I find quite surprising for some people that drive such a peculiar car.

Just turned over 18,500 miles today.

BEEF, it sounds like we are along the same Little Debbie physical fitness program though I'm about 2 inches taller and 20 pounds lighter
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #126
Registered Member

I guess driving a Smart doesn't make them smart, they've got the same closed minds as any other auto forum users.

I just talked about WAI in a thread on standardshift.com where someone asked about the effect of CAI on FE, saying that his FE has gone down with his CAI. There were a million responses that a CAI would increase FE. We'll see how that goes over...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #127

Quote:
I guess driving a Smart doesn't make them smart, they've got the same closed minds as any other auto forum users.

I just talked about WAI in a thread on standardshift.com where someone asked about the effect of CAI on FE, saying that his FE has gone down with his CAI. There were a million responses that a CAI would increase FE. We'll see how that goes over...
I talked to another Smart owner yesterday that installed a CAI, said his mileage went instantaneously from 42mpg to 30mpg with no change in driving habits. Mentioned he promptly removed it. Good as my dad has been dying to do put one on his Smart since I refuse to - he wants to be different but now he changed his mind since he has been getting a steady 45mpg last few tanks though he doesn't keep logs.

When I mentioned the WAI there I was literally burned at the stake and told in not so many words I was stupid even after I said I had proven it's worth with installs on my Geo Metro and my Honda Insight. They swore up and down that the CAI is the only way to go because it produces horsepower and an engine with more hp makes less work to propel the car which in turn will get better mileage and anyone that installs a WAI is dumb. Instead of arguing more and more I decided to shut up and color. Same few guys who "say" they are engineers are the bashers of the grill blocks, skirts, smooth wheel covers, tails/lip wings etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #128
Registered Member

Mine is at 66,000 miles and all is well.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #129
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
When I mentioned the WAI there I was literally burned at the stake and told in not so many words I was stupid even after I said I had proven it's worth with installs on my Geo Metro and my Honda Insight.
That's pretty much the normal reaction. I try really hard to phrase it in such a way as to avoid complete stake-body combustion.

Quote:
They swore up and down that the CAI is the only way to go because it produces horsepower and an engine with more hp makes less work to propel the car which in turn will get better mileage
LOL, by that measure we should be putting 454ci V8s in everything.

There's three types of FE opinions common on non-FE forums:
1. Anything that makes more power makes more FE.
2. Anything that makes less power makes more FE.
3. Getting good FE is morally objectionable.

Quote:
Same few guys who "say" they are engineers are the bashers of the grill blocks, skirts, smooth wheel covers, tails/lip wings etc.
Yup, sounds about right.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #130

Quote:
That's pretty much the normal reaction. I try really hard to phrase it in such a way as to avoid complete stake-body combustion.

LOL, by that measure we should be putting 454ci V8s in everything.

There's three types of FE opinions common on non-FE forums:
1. Anything that makes more power makes more FE.
2. Anything that makes less power makes more FE.
3. Getting good FE is morally objectionable.

Yup, sounds about right.
Yeah, I guess we should have beastly engines in everything by their rights. That being said, I do get pretty good mileage in my blown 350 if I keep my foot out of it which barely ever happens. 350 is the biggest motor I have in anything, got a 327, 305 and 302 for V-8's in some of my cars. All get crappy mileage which is why they sit.

Mike T - I'll catch up with you soon buddy!