2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #41

thisisntjared - it isn't really highway but it is a WINDY not mileage friendly road that I go about 65 mph on. Normally that is what brings my mileage down. My city driving brings the mileage up if I time the lights right. It comes out to about 30% city/70% highway. So far it seems like the "sweet spot" is about 48mph.

Mike T- I just don't like the price they are going to want for it. I'm willing to pay $350 but not $500. I've got a kit I bought for my Corolla that I paid $250 for, I need to eBay that. It's a Rostra w/wireless wheel controls. The handling really isn't too much of an issue IMO - it's just the whiny soccer moms that complain about that. I wish I could of got a CDI, even with the ULSD we have now.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #42

3300 miles now

3300! MILES NOW ON IT!

Problems - None (knock on wood)

Gas mileage has gone UP AND I achieved HYPERMILER status today.

Other notables -

1. I got a 400 mile tank out of it. Even a few smart owners I know said it couldn't be done. I did it!

2. ALMOST got in a wreck, it would of been IF it had been ANY OTHER CAR. I was doing about 55mph on a two lane road. Cars were coming in the opposite direction. A tractor was coming towards us about 10 feet off my side of the road when he turned right to try to get ready to cross the street I noticed that he was still moving and not slowing down as I neared about about 100 feet away then as I was right on him he jumped up and had a look of panic on his face. I know the look as I've had the same look when I can't get m tractor to stop. I was too close to stop so I gunned it and veered left for the open spot right down the center of the road just missing the cars in oncoming traffic and the tractor crossing the street. An honest to goodness foot clearance on either side of the car!

When I stomped on the gas the car actually responded well. Wife was screaming and she said she could see the whites of the guys eyes as he had a serious scared look on his face. Any bigger car and it would of been nasty. For once, a small car payed off in a potentially horrible scenario.

Not much else to report as mileage is going up but the next tank will do just that, tank - nose dive. I'm gong to drive a tank normal but not hot rod too much. Curious how it'll do.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
Registered Member

I've always heard that the best defense is a good offense. I always said that about my metro. it was pretty nimble.

glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to test out that safety cage yet. also congrats on the 400 mile tank. I recently got a 500 mile tank out of my cavalier. I know apples and oranges but it was an accomplishment on both accounts.

are you doing any of the neutral coasting or other hypermile techniques in the smart?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #44
Registered Member

I LOVE these cars! Been following them for, oh, 4 years now? The only reasons I didn't preorder one is that 1.) I was wary of the tranny after all the poor reviews, and 2.) the ONLY dealer in my entire state is a Mercedes dealer 2 hours away, so any maintenance costs would be horrific.

I'm envious anyway.

~HA
Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
I LOVE these cars! Been following them for, oh, 4 years now? The only reasons I didn't preorder one is that 1.) I was wary of the tranny after all the poor reviews, and 2.) the ONLY dealer in my entire state is a Mercedes dealer 2 hours away, so any maintenance costs would be horrific.

I'm envious anyway.

~HA
Thanks.

1.) The tranny "poor reviews" was people absolutely stomping on it driving like an absolute maniac wherever they go - aka.....car magazine writer. If it is driven like almost everyone here at GasSavers.Org you'll barely notice the shifting.

2.) My closest dealer is 5 hours away!! I'm a car guy and am reluctant to let anyone touch my car so the dealer being a bit away doesn't bother me. If something breaks - you can bet I will be learning something new real fast. That's just me though, I love learning new stuff so nothing scares me - always ready to fix anything.

Tomorrow I will be turning over 5,000 miles!!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #46
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post

I'm envious anyway.

~HA
you know smart is owned by mercedes right???
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
you know smart is owned by mercedes right???
Actually, Daimler is the parent company. Daimler is the parent company to Mercedes, Smart, Freightliner , Maybach, Sterling and more. That being said, when I tell people it's made by Daimler they look at me stupid. Then when I say it's the same company that makes Mercedes they still look stupid . Finally I just say, yeah sure it's made by Mercedes. It does have a lot of Mercedes part on it, at least I've found the emblem on some items on the car.

Many Mercedes dealers want nothing to do with it....it's a cheap car.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #48
Registered Member

smart used to be its own division of Daimler-Chrysler, formerly called MCC smart, and later, smart gmbh, but now it is part of the Mercedes-Benz division.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #49
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i didnt feel like going into the company heirarchy but yea, you are correct.

of course it helps smart sales for people to know that, but mercedes has to want nothing to do with it to maintain their image as a luxury car here in the states hahaha.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #50

Well Mike, of all people I'll trust what you say. I know the "m" in sMart stands for Mercedes and it was designed by Mercedes AND there are a few Mercedes parts on the car from what I've torn apart on it so far, has the emblem. Also the partslink homepage at the dealer does have a picture of the Smart. And of course I did personally put a G Daimler sticker on the windshield to match my old Mercedes.

All that being said, where does it say it's part of the Mercedes division. Not arguing at all, I just was wondering where I can find it. I can barely ever find any Mercedes sponsored sites where they fess up to having anything to do with Smart. On the Mercedes forum they do have a Smart section so that should be proof enough though.