2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 11 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #101
Registered Member

the transmissions on the smarts are funny anyway. I wonder what kind of mileage they would get if they had a traditional manual shift.

the motor is comperable to a geo metro so I would think that you could get similar mileage out of it.

they currently only offer an "automated" manual trans (which is pretty much an auto with shift paddles)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #102
Registered Member

Remember also that the Smart requires premium fuel. So if we are considering the cost of driving this thing, you have to downrate the mileage somewhat when comparing it to other cars. For instance, a gas station close to where I work sells regular for $2.74 per gallon, and premium for $2.96 a gallon. If you get, say, 38MPG in a Smart, it is costing you as much in terms of gas as a car that gets 35MPG on regular. And it is quite likely that the car that gets 35MPG on regular is going to be MUCH more practical and easier to live with than a Smart. Not to mention that it will probably also actually LOOK like a car and have some semblence of acceleration when you get on the freeway.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #103
Registered Member

have you test driven one?

they really aren't that bad. you have to change the gears manually to get descent pickup but that is because of the automated trans. the amount of room inside is better than people think too.

I have my issues with smart cars but I have test driven one and, if my situation was different, I would own one today.

remember also that people that are actually driving smart cars are getting low to mid 40s which is pretty good in a brand new car that doesn't have hybrid attached to it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #104

Storminmatt - you sound like an Insight hater too. Anything that doesn't fit YOUR idea of what a practical car should be just isn't a good car.

The Smart is practical for ME and most likely would be practical for people in similar situations as me. 2 people who commute together. Let me guess, you've got 4drs on you car but 90% of the time all the other seats besides the driver seat go unoccupied. My ONE passenger seat in the Smarts go unoccupied maybe 2% of the total mileage that have been put on the car. This makes you a very wasteful person by letting those other seats go unoccupied.

Now that you read that - it's obvious that I've never ridden with you and I'm only speculating and just getting you roweled up . Just like you are doing with the Smart right now, but until you get some credible wheel time on a Smart - please don't hate. I have seen many haters change their mind once they actually study up and learn about it - it is almost similar to being prejudice though it is an inanimate object.

All that said - you are correct about the premium. Out of 52 tanks of gas on my car with 16,500 miles I've gotten 3 that were below 40mpg with the last 3 being 44mpg. BUT - do I really car that my care is comparable to a car that get 41mpg, NO! How about my time saved when I didn't have to search for a parking spot, take my passenger and my hourly rate we make and then divide that into time saved because we're in such an "unpractical" little car and it start to tip the scales a bit. This car has honest to goodness saved me HOURS in the last 5 months of ownership on searching for parking spots. Once again - my scenario and others may differ.

It cracks me up you're worried that you have to drive a car that LOOKS like a car. I'm guessing you live in one of those neighborhoods that all the houses look just alike too. Don't follow the herd - live a little for once stop trying be like everyone else and be an individual. The very reason you don't seem to like it is the very reason I love it.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #105

opelgt73 - looked at it yesterday going home and it is around 3k-3200rpms. I wouldn't want to tear into the tranny for a mod quite yet. The car being so tall is the main reason for the less than perfect gas mileage, also it is heavy for it's size because of all the safety features added to it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #106

I own a big heavy station wagon but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a smart passion hard top. They look a lot taller in pictures when you walk up to one they are actually wider than they are tall. They are about the same length as they are wide though. I think they would make a great no regrets race car too, sure slow but you don't feel bad flogging it because your still getting great milage. I would go for silver with black tridion accents
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #107
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Remember also that the Smart requires premium fuel. So if we are considering the cost of driving this thing, you have to downrate the mileage somewhat when comparing it to other cars. For instance, a gas station close to where I work sells regular for $2.74 per gallon, and premium for $2.96 a gallon. If you get, say, 38MPG in a Smart, it is costing you as much in terms of gas as a car that gets 35MPG on regular. And it is quite likely that the car that gets 35MPG on regular is going to be MUCH more practical and easier to live with than a Smart. Not to mention that it will probably also actually LOOK like a car and have some semblence of acceleration when you get on the freeway.
Don't try to argue this point!
the Smart is a cool little car but only practical for solo commuters for the most part.
Z man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z man View Post
Don't try to argue this point!
the Smart is a cool little car but only practical for solo commuters for the most part.
Actually practical for the duo commuters . As with most cars, most travel alone in it just like the giant SUV's. Technically - when filled to capacity a Ford E350 15 passenger is more practical than most cars on this site.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #109
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Actually practical for the duo commuters . As with most cars, most travel alone in it just like the giant SUV's. Technically - when filled to capacity a Ford E350 15 passenger is more practical than most cars on this site.
My VW is pretty tight for two (somewhat large) people...I can't imagine anything narrower or generally smaller doing the job for us.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
My VW is pretty tight for two (somewhat large) people...I can't imagine anything narrower or generally smaller doing the job for us.
The spouse and I aren't twig people and fit comfortably though I do have to elbow her at times to get her arm off the armrest, but it is something I've done with ALL our cars so I can't blame the Smart for that---- that being said, eating is one of our favorite sports.

I did however have a buddy ride around the block with me the other day and me with my 5'9" 200lb butt and his 6'2" 350lb butt it was a tight squeeze on our shoulders.