2017 Audi A4 Ultra: An eco-oriented model for US and Canada - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

2017 Audi A4 Ultra: An eco-oriented model for US and Canada

Okay, just give us an A4 TDI already! Mercedes offers the C300d and BMW offers the 328d (rebaged 320d for the rest of the world). Although I do like this trend of carmakers offering more efficiency-oriented models for their cars, such as the Hyundai Sonata 1.6 Eco.

2017 Audi A4 Ultra Gets Big Boost in Fuel Economy - Motor Trend
Quote:
2017 AUDI A4 ULTRA GETS BIG BOOST IN FUEL ECONOMY

Most efficient A4 in the U.S. by a large margin

A more efficient variant of the Audi A4 is coming to dealerships this fall. The 2017 Audi A4 Ultra gets an EPA-estimated 27/37 mpg city/highway, a huge improvement from the standard model’s 25/33 mpg.

Like the rest of the A4 lineup, the Ultra utilizes a 2.0-liter TFSI engine. However, it makes just 190 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque compared to the standard model’s 252 hp and 273 lb-ft. To boost fuel economy, the engine utilizes a combustion method with shorter compression and longer expansion phases. The compression ratio is now 11.7:1, up from 9.6:1.

Along with improved efficiency, the A4 Ultra also offers a lower price point. Prices start at $35,850 for Premium models or $39,650 for Premium Plus models. These trims usually start at $38,250 and $42,050 respectively. All A4 Ultra models are front-wheel drive and come standard with a host of features including a panoramic sunroof, ambient LED interior lighting, and Audi pre sense basic and city safety systems.

Audi says the A4 Ultra reaches 60 mph from a standstill in 7.1 seconds. That’s quite a ways off from the 6.1 seconds Audi estimates for the front-drive A4 2.0 TFSI. Those going for speed may want to opt for the 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro we recently tested, which hit 60 mph in 5.4 seconds.

Despite the drawbacks, Audi argues the A4 Ultra is more efficient than its competitors. And that’s true, if you’re comparing it to the BMW 320i (23/35 mpg), Mercedes-Benz C300 (25/34 mpg), and the Lexus IS 200t (22/33 mpg).

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

27 - 37 MPG is not what I'd class as "Eco orientated" and "big boost in economy" much better off with the diesels, after a quick check there's almost 50 users here reporting 50-60 UK MPG in the TDI units. They respond very well to hypermiling too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
LDB
Registered Member

I'd call it a decent jump in mpg but not a huge improvement. Semantics and opinions, I know. Somehow I don't see mpg as a major factor if I were an Audi buyer. Again, me and my opinion. I'd rather go with the 2.0T Quattro and 5.4 to 60 though.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

EPA rule changes for 2016 model year have resulted in ever more conservative window sticker numbers.

As of now, VW is holding off on their 2L TDIs in the US, and the 3L ones might follow.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
27 - 37 MPG is not what I'd class as "Eco orientated" and "big boost in economy" much better off with the diesels, after a quick check there's almost 50 users here reporting 50-60 UK MPG in the TDI units. They respond very well to hypermiling too.
Audi Q5 30.L TDI here with an all-time average of 6.38 L/100km (=36.87 MPG US = 44.28 MPG UK). These EPA numbers don't inspire me, as I'm getting better real-world combined fuel economy in an SUV than this subcompact sedan can get in the EPA's dreams on the highway.

It's too bad that...
  • the super-efficient diesel engines that are common in Europe aren't offered in North America
  • VW has screwed up so big with Dieselgate
  • VW/Audi/Porsche diesel sales have been halted in North America since September 2015
Ever since I got my first diesel in 2015, I never want to return to a gasoline (petrol) engine. Most North Americans don't have a clue about fuel efficiency.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

When i first drove a diesel and found £5 in a big Nissan Bluebird got me almost twice as far as £5 in a small petrol Vauxhall Nova, i was hooked.
I drove diesels for 15 years.
I cant say if its true of hybrids from other manufacturers, but the Prius is more fuel efficient than a comparably sized diesel.
Though my reasons are for economy, there can be no denying that as it runs on electric through many urban sections, no exhaust fumes and noise have to be better for pedestrians.
I would still always pick diesel over petrol, but now hybrid is the winner for me.
Much as i long for a diesel/electric hybrid, i can see that say the 50% EV journey figure would cause problems with the dpf and the diesel as if on very short trips.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

All the associated problems with diesels will soon be common on petrols, and perhaps hybrids too as they start fitting the clean tech such as particulate filters, to clean them up.

Steve I comprehend your frustration, sadly the majority of the American population are used to stereotyping, I guess the French eat alot of cheese and garlic and Wear black stripy tops, and we British love a bit of tea and crumpets lol. There was a regular poster on here, every other day he was diesel bashing, and yet he apparently drove two trucks with 5.0+ litre engines, one of which was 30 years old, cant even imagine the "real World" emissions of those trucks compared to a modern diesel, but haters going to hate I guess...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
...sadly the majority of the American population are used to stereotyping, I guess the French eat a lot of cheese and garlic and Wear black stripy tops, and we British love a bit of tea and crumpets lol. There was a regular poster on here, every other day he was diesel bashing, and yet he apparently drove two trucks with 5.0+ litre engines, one of which was 30 years old, can't even imagine the "real World" emissions of those trucks compared to a modern diesel, but haters going to hate I guess...
Big yup, here! In the North American media, the focus is solely on VW's cheat device and "dirty diesels". Real-world tailpipe emissions are not discussed, just the in-lab-only numbers, as though they reflected reality. Even the UK Government's reports that virtually all vehicles tested, both diesel and gasoline (petrol), regardless of make or model, emitted many times lab-legal levels in the real world, legally, but this quickly disappears from the media and is lost on most forum jockeys.

It's a weird world out there :-/

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
LDB
Registered Member

I was looking at the VW diesel in Aug. 2015 and pretty seriously considering it but went with the Prius for the solar roof option. If the diesel had the solar roof I probably would have bought one right before they were pulled.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'd love a solar roof! Doubt it would generate much electricity tho....