Chevy Aveo, why not spring for a Fit? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #11

My Kadett looked just like a Chevette (at least it was a 4dr hatchback) It was an '82.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Registered Member

How aboutt the 1970 Model Kadett?

regards
gary

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The Aveo is a Daewoo. I might actually choose a Honda over it, and I'm biased against Hondas...

I suppose if you wanted it without all the standard features of the Fit it might be worthwhile at $4500 less.

I don't share your general view on American cars but I suspect I'd agree about the Aveo (which is Korean anyway).
Isn't the Aveo built at the same plant in Canada where the Metro came from? Of course, it is probably a Korean design...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
We had a rental Aveo when our 06 Ion was in the shop for a month after getting hit by a paving truck. You could not give me an Aveo for free. You couldn't pay me to take one. No offense to anyone, but I would rather go back to my old Chevettes than drive an Aveo. For a car the size and weight of the Aveo, it should get better MPG than it does. My Ion has a bigger motor and weighs more and gets better fuel economy. Oh and the Ion is roomier also. We almost bought one when we got the Ion, but the financing deal Saturn had at the time was too good to pass up. 6 months later when the accident happened and had to drive it for a month, it was apparent we chose the better car.
The chevette still gets great mpg for its technology. i bet you crammed so much crap in your chevettes you wouldn't believe it if you weren't doing it. Im not a fan of the aveos either, i dont mind the looks but i was shocked at how crappy its mpg is when i first heard about em...i still prefer domestics over imports for the fact parts are cheap and we drive cars till they explode/rust away (friggin rust belt) so resale value isnt important, but part prices and availability are.

ive always liked the looks of the ion. my dads looking into a focus when im outa college (trade in our 12 year old aerostar van) i should talk him into gettin or at least lookign at the ions. mostly because the ford vehicles weve had have had stupid problems while our 13+ year old chevys run great and only have typical stuff go out.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Registered Member

I think we actually packed like 8 of us into the first Chevette I had, a 1980 2 door Scooter. The blue bomber we called it. Auto trans would slip when upshifting between first and second. I rear ended a van once, but other than that could not kill that car. The second I had was an 81 4 door with a 4 speed, my first stick that I couldn't wait to drive.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Isn't the Aveo built at the same plant in Canada where the Metro came from? Of course, it is probably a Korean design...
No, but apparently it's going to be made in Mexico starting next year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aveo
Quote:
Most Kalos/Aveos are assembled in the Bupyong plant in South Korea. In Ukraine, Russia and Venezuela, local versions of the Aveo are assembled from knock-down kits or CKD. For the Chinese market, Aveos and Lovas are manufactured by Shanghai GM Dongyue. In India, Aveos are assembled from Halol Plant. Also in Egypt GM assembly plant started in August 2007 producing the Aveo locally in 3 variants.

Beginning in 2009, Chevrolet Aveos will be produced at the new General Motors San Lois Potosi plant located in Mexico. Start of production is targeted at June 2009
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I think we actually packed like 8 of us into the first Chevette I had, a 1980 2 door Scooter. The blue bomber we called it. Auto trans would slip when upshifting between first and second. I rear ended a van once, but other than that could not kill that car. The second I had was an 81 4 door with a 4 speed, my first stick that I couldn't wait to drive.
ya im planning to take mine to college this comming fall, 5 hour one way drive, i can take 55mph highways the whole way tho whast funny is you can take the interstate route, its longer but easier to drive cuz its well interstate...but the 55mph route is a straight shot but 55mpg and going thru a billion little towns along the way (so 55mph most of the way but slow down to 45-35 thru some of em) might be better for the engien to wind down every now and then. Either way its exactly 5 hours (might be a minute difference lol)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
LOL, I remember once we got 17 or 18 in my Pontiac Bonneville wagon... that was tight, but it was one heck of a trip to the mall...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
Registered Member

**** that was my first car after I got my license. I was still on my parents' insurance and my mother's friends spotted us loaded to the hilt like that. I got screamed at when I got home. "Holy crap so and so said there were so many people in the car you could not see the inside"!!!!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #20

I used to have a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville 2-door. We got 11 in, no one in the trunk. Got 30 MPG in it, 5.7 liter 350, 55 MPH on cruise, flat ground.

This is why I think I can get 100 MPG out of a severely modified CRX.

I got T-boned in the Bonneville in 1991. Needed a new left front tire. Passenger door was smashed in a little, but the power windows still worked fine. Totalled the Honda station wagon that hit me, took her front bumper off and more. Built like a tank. Wish I'd never sold it.

My good friend I bought it from was in the same model car, her family was in a wreck head-on at 55 MPH. Her dad had the engine in his lap but they all walked away, no broken bones. Those were the days.