Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK97CX View Post
'Already are' what?
Buying a North american made car. At least my 97 was made in the USA. 96 was made in Canada though.

GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #52
Registered Member

Why can't we blame GM for buying a crap car and trying to pawn it off as a competitor for cars like the Fit, Yaris and even the Focus. Who are we supposed to blame, because someone should be blamed for that sorry excuse for a vehicle. GM didn't have to sell the car, they are doing fine with Cobalt.

I know that the Aveo is Korean, most car people do, it's one of the first things mentioned in car magazine reviews. That doesn't give GM a pass for selling it. They are putting their name on the car and to the general public that means it's a GM.

By the way, GM never tried to sell ME an Aveo because I never gave them a chance. I can look past the 'lowest priced American car' rhetoric to see what it really is.

I was simply making a comment about one that we had as a rental when our Fit was in the bodyshop after an unfortunate encounter with a Coyote.

Speaking of rebadged cars, the Honda Passport is a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, but according to your logic we can't blame Honda for selling it.

And I can't imagine many people agree with your inclusion of the CRV on your odd list of junk Japanese cars. Many of the first CRV's are still on the road, turning close to 200,000 miles and still going strong. There are a ton of them out there and they are still selling for a lot of money, even with high mileage. I don't see the same thing with '96-'98 Escapes (which notoriously fall apart at 100,000).

But I guess you can include me in the American's 'stupid enough' to buy one. My wife had a '00 CRV five speed that was a beast in the snow, got good gas mileage, carried everything we needed to carry and NEVER went to the shop except for routine maintenance. We sold it earlier this year for $8,000 to her Dad (read discounted family price), we could have probably sold it for $1,000 to $1,500 more if we listed on CL.

Also not sure of what you consider amazing engineering in Ford fleet cars. Maybe it's the fact that during a hard rain the passenger footwell in my brother's Taurus company car would fill with 2-3 inches of water. Or maybe it was the brilliant fix for the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis springs that would suddenly break and puncture the tire. My friend was a former mechanic at a Nissan-Volvo-Mercury dealership. Never mind Ford figuring out why the springs were breaking or offer to replace the springs, their answer was to ship a steel plate that needed to be attached to the spring assembly so that when it DID break it would just hit the plate and not the tire. Brilliant.

AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Buying a North american made car. At least my 97 was made in the USA. 96 was made in Canada though.
That's the best of both worlds to me. Proven Honda engineering and design assembled in American factories by American workers.
AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #54
Registered Member

If you must blame someone, blame the consumers that make it profitable for GM...

...nuff said I believe.
GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #55
Registered Member

lol any car will last a long time if you keep up maintenance, which most people dont so when ohh a ford gets a misfire after 100K miles of not changeing plugs or wires or anything its instantly a horrible car...

i know several people with over 300K on thier s-10's then i know some that managed to be on thier 3rd engine and 4th transmission in 150K miles...

i can find some problem free hondas then some that burn more oil than gas and sound like a popcorn maker...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol , which most people dont so when ohh a ford gets a misfire after 100K miles of not changeing plugs or wires or anything its instantly a horrible car...
Words to live by My 4cyl ranger was only getting 17mpg when I got it. But that's because it had 144k on it and never had a tune up not even a filter.

Gm and Unions and greed are all part of why they have outsourced.
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #57
Registered Member

The Aveo, while being an absolutely terrible car, still gets better mileage than the Smart For Two, no?

Z man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z man View Post
The Aveo, while being an absolutely terrible car, still gets better mileage than the Smart For Two, no?

That one would be a huge NO!

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote