Chevy Aveo, why not spring for a Fit? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Chevy Aveo, why not spring for a Fit?

We are finally returning my wife's rental Aveo today when we pick up her Fit Sport from the body shop.

I will be the first to admit that I am biased towards Hondas but I have to say that there is nothing redeeming about the Aveo. Has anyone else driven one?

The interior is terrible, the fit and finish doesn't even measure up to my 12 year old CX hatch with 178,000 miles.

I know it's a rental but it doesn't even have a CD player, just an AM/FM radio. It's also an automatic (again because it's a rental) which makes the agonizingly bad driving experience even worse. I wonder if a stick would help at all.

I looked up the Aveo online and saw that they start about $4500 less than a base Fit but once you option out an Aveo to the Fit's level you have to be within a few thousand bucks.

For me it's a no-brainer, spend the small amount extra and get a better looking, more fun to drive, better quality car that will actually hold it's value for years.

Just wondering if anyone else agree's, disagree's.

I wish that Chevy/Ford, etc. could make a car that stacks up to Hondas and Toyotas. I'm all for buying American but not if I get a sub-par product.

AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

the aveo was chevy's attempt at a cheap car with descentish MPG. you can get one brand new for around 10K and yes that is with NO options.

my dad was thinking of getting one about 2 years ago, went for a test drive. with the sales lady in the car (3 of us) I told him to punch it to see if it had the power he needed. his response was "I AM". to be fair it was going up a hill. he decided to get a toyota corrola which ironically has more power and better gas mileage than the aveo. it did cost him about 3K more but the advantages out weigh the cost.

now that they have the cobalt that boasts 36 highway MPG, I can see the end of the aveo pretty soon.

just my opinion.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The Aveo is a Daewoo. I might actually choose a Honda over it, and I'm biased against Hondas...

I suppose if you wanted it without all the standard features of the Fit it might be worthwhile at $4500 less.

I don't share your general view on American cars but I suspect I'd agree about the Aveo (which is Korean anyway).
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #4

The Chevy Aveo is ridiculous. The Malibu and Malibu Maxx both get better mileage and are bigger. Get anything else.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

We had a rental Aveo when our 06 Ion was in the shop for a month after getting hit by a paving truck. You could not give me an Aveo for free. You couldn't pay me to take one. No offense to anyone, but I would rather go back to my old Chevettes than drive an Aveo. For a car the size and weight of the Aveo, it should get better MPG than it does. My Ion has a bigger motor and weighs more and gets better fuel economy. Oh and the Ion is roomier also. We almost bought one when we got the Ion, but the financing deal Saturn had at the time was too good to pass up. 6 months later when the accident happened and had to drive it for a month, it was apparent we chose the better car.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Perhaps they'll give it up in favor the Astra, which is an Opel at heart?

Has anyone driven an Astra? I'm curious what the general opinion of them is.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Drove one a few generations older, they were okay, Pontiac LeMans of the 80s was one, but they probably hit the deadly penetrating fog of suckage somewhere mid atlantic and are arriving overweight with crippled motors and softer tuned suspension that now rides like crap.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

I saw an Astra a few days ago, it was really sharp looking. At least I think it was an Astra, it was a four door hatchback with a similar look to the Versa but nicer.
AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Drove one a few generations older, they were okay, Pontiac LeMans of the 80s was one, but they probably hit the deadly penetrating fog of suckage somewhere mid atlantic and are arriving overweight with crippled motors and softer tuned suspension that now rides like crap.
Are you sure? The LeMans was the Kadett while the Astra was a bit bigger. Of course you never know....I could be wrong. (I used to have a Euro Kadett - generation before LeMans type but first of the OHC)
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Kadett=Astra from '79, before that it was similar to the Chevette.

Oh, you might be confusing it with the Aura, similar to the Vectra which was the next size up from the Astra/Kadett after the Cavalier/Ascona

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote