Fiesta Diesel clocked at 74.05 mpg (31.48 kms per litre) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Fiesta Diesel clocked at 74.05 mpg (31.48 kms per litre)

Now if they only made it a plugin hybrid diesel. Although that would make it pretty expensive. I'm buying the diesel when/if it comes out in 2009.

AUTOCAR SETS MILEAGE RECORDS ON FORD FIESTA; ENTERS THE LIMCA BOOK OF RECORDS
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24176
* Fiesta Diesel clocked an incredible 31.48 kms per litre (74.05 mpg) while?
* Fiesta Petrol records staggering 22.43 kms per litre (52.76 mpg)

August 22, 2006: Autocar India and Ford Fiesta have entered the Limca Book of Records in a first-of-its-kind Max Mileage Marathon, recording the longest distance ever traveled on a single tank of diesel and petrol. The Max Mileage Marathon, held on 29 th and 30 th July featured Fiesta 1.4 litre Duratorq TDCi Diesel and Fiesta 1.4 litre Duratec Petrol cars.

Representatives from the Limca Book of Records presented the Certificate to Hormazd Sorabjee, Editor, Autocar India and Arvind Mathew, President & Managing Director, Ford India at a ceremony held today in Mumbai.

The Marathon was held at the 4.226 km (2.63 mile) high-speed track at the National Centre for Automotive Testing (NCAT) at the Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (VRDE) in Ahmednagar. The entire event was monitored and supervised by the Federation of Motor Sports Association of India (FMSCI) and representatives of the Limca Book of Records.

The Ford Fiesta 1.4 litre Duratec Petrol was flagged off by Mr. Singh, Joint Director VRDE at 12:37 pm 29 th July. After traveling continuously for 1183 kms (735.08 miles), the car finally ran out of petrol at 10:11 am the next morning, nearly 22 hours later! The car extracted 22.43 kms from every litre of petrol (52.76 MPG).

The Ford Fiesta 1.4 litre Duratorq TDCi Diesel, flagged off at 12:40 pm on 29 th July, traveled nearly 29 hours, before finally running out of fuel at 5:23 pm, on 30 th July, after covering 1570.8 kms (976.05 miles). The car returned an astounding average of 31.48 kilometers per litre (74.05 mpg).

A brainchild of Autocar India, the Max Mileage Marathon was organized with the objective of proving that ideal road conditions, skilful driving and modern engine technology can result in huge fuel savings, thereby contributing positively to national savings. The Marathon also brought into limelight the vast difference between ideal road conditions and real road conditions that could result in potentially high fuel efficiency.

Hormazd Sorabjee, Editor of Autocar India, while receiving the Certificate from Limca Book of Record, commented, ?Through Max Mileage Marathon, we wished to demonstrate that good driving conditions, combined with sound driving skills, and high-performance modern engines have the potential to considerably increase fuel efficiency and result in savings for the car owners as well as lower the burden of fuel bills for the country.?

Congratulating Autocar India on the unique record, Arvind Mathew said, ?I am delighted that Ford Fiesta is a part of this historical mileage record. This is a further endorsement of the quality and efficiency of Fiesta?s modern Duratorq TDCi Diesel and Duratec Petrol engines, and Ford?s world class automotive technology. Fiesta offers exceptional value for money and can be instrumental in huge savings for the customer.?

The fuel tanks were filled to the brim and sealed just before the run. HPCL?s ?Power? was used for the petrol Fiesta while the diesel Fiesta was filled using HPCL?s ?Turbojet? diesel. The cars were driven round the track, at speeds between 50 kmh ? 70 kmh (31 mph ? 44 mph), until the tanks ran dry and the cars came to a complete halt. The total distance was measured by a sophisticated GPS system.

The drivers included Autocar India staffers Hormazd Sorabjee, Shapur Kotwal, Ouseph Chacko, Siddhraj Singh and Rishad Cooper. Auto-enthusiasts Renuka Kriplani, Iqbal Durazi and Byram Dhalla, took turns behind the wheels.

A member of the observers? team / technical delegate was present in the vehicle through out the run. Representatives from the Limca Book of Record and the Federation of Motor Sports Association of India (FMSCI) were also present to verify the results.

About Autocar India

Autocar India, is the country?s leading automobile magazine with a monthly readership of 288,000 (IRS 2006). Ever since it was launched in September 1999, Autocar India has set the pace for automotive journalism in India and has gained an enviable reputation of regularly being first with the news. The core of the magazine is its road tests and vehicle evaluation which has earned the respect of the consumer and industry alike. Autocar India is a part of the Haymarket Group of publications, which produces Autocar (UK) the oldest motoring title in the world.

About Ford India

Established in 1995, Ford India is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader. Ford India manufactures and distributes automobiles made at its modern integrated manufacturing facility, at Maraimalai Nagar, near Chennai. With over 1900 employees, the company's models include the Ikon, Fusion, Endeavour, Mondeo and the Fiesta. Ford India is in its tenth year of operations in the country.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Not to start a riot or anything. But at 33.5 MPH average speed in ideal conditions, I'm sure almost any car would do absolutely amazing.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

The Guiness Book of World Records recognizes an Austrailian couple as holding the record for open road, city to city unrefueled distance record of about 1450 miles (2300+km). My own distance record is barely over 1400 miles (twice), but since Guiness won't recognize vehicles over 6 months old(?), I'm ineligible to try for a record under their auspicies.
FIA doesn't have distance records except in conjunction with a time element so that recognition is also out.
I have semi-realistic plans for a Key West-to-Canada un-refueled trip. About 2200 miles at 75 mpg. I've done high 70's~low 80's for distances from 250 to 500 miles so I know the mpg is possible. I've been able to fill the "Camel"s tank with close to 28 gallons on top of how ever much was left in there when I got to the station. In theory, it will work.

Limca book of records, huh? I'll have to check it out.

Curses! Foiled again! Is this some kind of Sikh joke?
http://www.coca-colaindia.com/limca_...ds/default.asp
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Roger that dkjones96. At 35 MPH my VX would probably beat the diesel.

regards
gary
Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

I like to see the kms per liter at 100 kms per hour with both cars.
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #6

should have called it a low speed track.... 31-44mph? I want to see that same test at 60-70mph on the interstate, with mountain passes included. If it can still get above 60mpg on the diesel, it'd be worth it to me. 13.18 gallons.. Yeah, for any of the trips I make on a yearly basis, my next car needs to get 60mpg (about 12.5gal) for me to never stop.

Better be awesome seats to make me want to sit in them for 12 hours straight.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote