Fuel Hoarder - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Link to reputable news article reporting that Nissan is selling it?

Anyway, it wouldn't be the first worthless item sold by car companies.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

looks like another gas saving scam

High gas prices bring them out like crazy

Buyer Beware

Just do a search on google or any search engine on "save gas" and look at the google ads on the right for lots of bogus claims

Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to sceiauto Send a message via MSN to sceiauto Send a message via Yahoo to sceiauto
Its interesting that everyone will just decide something is bogus without even trying it. I will refine my offer. I will offer to give a reader of this forum a device for free if they review it for others. Buyer beware is so funny since you don't even look at how and why this device works. It hasn't been done before, and if you think about what it does, it makes sense. contact me if you want to take me up on my offer.

Scott
sceiauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's necessary to understand your potential customer if you want to sell to him, and you obviously don't understand us.

Every day, we get posts by new users with a link to a website, claiming exactly the same things you claim. Every one of them is certifiable bullcrap. So, we see you show up with yours, and think "it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck; it's probably at least something vaguely avian."

Keep in mind also that there are people paying this site to advertise the same sort of things, and it's kind of offensive to see you advertise it for free. We use this site for free and want it to be able to pay the bills and stay running.

From your description of how yours works, it sounds like it's a $0.25 resistor, and what it does is change the TPS signal a little bit. It would probably only work on cable throttle cars, not DBW cars. MAF and O2 readings are the most important sensors for deciding how much fuel to inject; MAF tells it how much air is flowing (which won't be changed by your device) and O2 tells it whether the mixture is rich or lean.

If it does pay enough attention to the TPS that a small change would make a big difference in fuel, it's going to do exactly what you say it will, which means it will lean the mixture...which we don't do because we don't want to destroy our engines!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

I think that any fuel saving item should be tested under controlled conditions on a dino with the same vehicle/speeds both with and without the device. This would demonstrate the difference in gas usage and eliminate any inconsistancies. It should be moderated by an indepandant person/group.

"Seat of the pants" testing is flawed due to the many variables involved in a drive on the highway.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to sceiauto Send a message via MSN to sceiauto Send a message via Yahoo to sceiauto
This device has been tested on a dyno, in L.A. by an independant testing agency. It showed that it doesn't decrease mileage, and that emissions are not increased. I knew that there was going to be a problem when the test had the 1999 Sebring getting 45 MPG, with the device it got 46 MPG. When the device was tested by Nissan they did it on the road in a very controlled setting and found 12% increase in mileage for city driving, and 9% increase in highway miles. The on the road testing is being done right now in Australia and Canada for the gas and diesel models. I have offered to have a reader from this forum to try it out, without any interest.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

I am an open-minded skeptic. I don't believe things like this, but I'm not against believing them -- you just have to give me some real data that's easy to trust before I can begin to take it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceiauto View Post
This device has been tested on a dyno, in L.A. by an independant testing agency. It showed that it doesn't decrease mileage, and that emissions are not increased.
The same can be said of not using the device.

Quote:
I knew that there was going to be a problem when the test had the 1999 Sebring getting 45 MPG, with the device it got 46 MPG.
So, they tested a car that is EPA rated 19/29, but they were getting 45mpg*; and the device made it go up to 46mpg? That is well within any but the most perfect test's margin for error, and not worth much even if it was an accurate test.

*: Ok, perhaps they were just testing at a steady 35mph with simulated normal drag load.

Quote:
When the device was tested by Nissan
That's the second time you have mentioned that without backing it up.

Quote:
they did it on the road in a very controlled setting and found 12% increase in mileage for city driving, and 9% increase in highway miles.
Why didn't that increase show up on the dyno? I imagine dyno testing would be the one showing better results.

Quote:
The on the road testing is being done right now in Australia and Canada for the gas and diesel models. I have offered to have a reader from this forum to try it out, without any interest.
Considering that you claim that it works by leaning the air/fuel ratio (you used more words, either to avoid saying "lean" or because you're not familiar with how engines work/haven't fully considered the device's effect) I'm not willing to risk my engine, nor do I feel comfortable giving my address to someone who has presented himself as a miracle snake oil salesman and has not provided any evidence to the contrary.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

If I try the device (for free as you stated) and my engine starts to pre-detonate from the lean mixture or even starts to fuse the pistons to the cylinder wall, will you then buy me a new car?

been looking for an excuse to get a new one.lol

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

If you try it, and it hurts your engine, there is a bond to cover that. It doesn't lean the engine all the time you are driving. There is a 3 minute delay when you first put it on, and then the engine is only leaned out when the throttle reaches a certain voltage.