Some promising numbers from a Jeep Patriot! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I haven't written any reviews of it. It has about 3300 miles on it so far. Mileage has been surprisingly good but I do drive like a little old lady. The ride is excellent, traction is good in the snow even with the stock tires, it has good power for a 4 banger, the seats are comfortable, even the base model has a great stereo system. My overall impression is that this is a lot of vehicle for an MSRP of less than 19,000 bucks. My only complaint is that it didn't come with mudflaps but since I wash it every week, even in sub zero weather, it stays pretty clean.

I haven't towed with it yet or added the oil cooler. In May I am transferring back to CA and will be towing a small trailer cross country with enough stuff in it to live till my household goods get delivered. The only thing I have been thinking about adding besides an oil cooler is a set of wheels and rims. I'll probably wait till the tires are worn since I'm a cheap bast#@$ and I want to get the full value out of the tires. Would I buy one again? Heck yeah. I haven't regretted it a bit. If they bring a diesel version to the US that would be my first choice, second choice would be the electric version they are working on (as long as it has enough guts to tow my quad around).

dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
How is it to drive? How's the clutch, transmission, steering, brakes, etc?

What annoyances, if any, have you found? Surely by 3300 miles you've found something to dislike.

I agree about the value, and I almost got one because of that. I still consider it a distinct possibility for my next vehicle even though I'm mostly planning to get something RWD.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

The clutch is lighter than I am used to, steering is precise, not too over assisted, the brakes seem powerful enough. The heater and defrost work well and even on sub zero mornings the vehicle warms up quickly. The ABS scared the crap out of me the first time it activated, on my Nissan you could feel the brake pedal pulsing but it wasn't very loud, on the Jeep it sounded like a I ran over a metal washtub and then dragged it down the street under the vehicle. I was so startled I took my foot off the brake and rolled through the stop sign I was approaching. Some owners have complained about the ABS over on JeepPatriot.com but my feeling is that once you hit ice all bets are off and you get what is coming to you.

Nothing really annoys me about the Jeep. The windows tend to freeze in place but since I have manual windows I can work the window back and forth a bit until it frees up. The rails that the front bucket seats ride on stick out pretty far from the seat too. I guess the only real annoyance is that reverse does not have a lock out and once or twice I ground the gears going into reverse.

People have also complained about leaks in the overhead dome light (mine is tight) and the shoddy quality of the interior plastic. I test drove a used 07 and there were a lot of scratches in the plastic. Jeep changed the interior in 09 and is using a higher quality plastic. The only scratch I have is from an unsecured cross country ski sliding forward and hitting the dash just above the glove box. It is a heavier back country ski with metal edges and it put a nice little scratch in the plastic and reminded me that I need to secure my skis better or use a carry bag for them. Other complaints I have read about are orange peel (mine is silver and has no orage peel), complaints about the ESP not turning completely off (mine does) and the need for a reflash on the computer because the CVT wasn't shifting well. It was a little hard to find a manual version and my salesman was kind of an idiot too!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Thanks, interesting stuff. Definitely nothing there to discourage me. I am comfortable with obtrusive ABS, I'm used to a light clutch (mine is like a video game), I'm used to frozen windows and protruding seat rails, and I'm not too concerned with interior materials except the ones I actually touch. When I was shopping for it I wasn't able to find a manual one but I didn't try very hard.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

For doors and windows that stick with ice, get some silicone lubricant spray. Wind the window all the way down and spray the rubbers.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #16
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
wow that is really good for a larger vehicle. it beats my subaru in the mpg arena. you should post your tanks in your gas log.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member

That would mean me starting a gas log here and I'm a procrastinator.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

So concrastinate instead
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

25.5 mpg last week. 94.5 miles of driving, 64.5 in the city, with temps ranging from the teens to the upper 30s. Much better than the 16mpg the Patriot got a few weeks ago. Of course we were lucky enough to get above zero that week.