Towing with a Saturn Wagon? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

The Hyundai Elantra has surprisingly high tow ratings for it's size. I am not sure if that's true of the current 2007+ generation but was for the previous 2001-06. Think it's around 3000lb, FE is reasonable, not stellar, but you can probably hit over 30mpg with the 5 speed. Quality has been way up in the last few years at Hyundai, but 2005 and later seems safest gamble.
Edmunds rates it's #9 in top ten towing vehicles....
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...6/article.html

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have a '02SL with a 5' x 9' steel trailer (from Lowes). I've towed motorcycles on it state to state. I would highly recommend, if the trailer has a mesh-type 'ramp' that folds vertical when driving, remove it after loading up the trailer. If left in the upright position when driving, the mesh will act like a solid object, and really dog the car down at highway speeds. Mine is removeable, so I just lay it in the trailer when driving. Huge difference.

My car has 161,000 miles now, and 100hp SOHC engine with 5-speed. I never checked MPG with the trailer. Without the scangauge, tires at 40psi, and no air windows up, I have duplicated 49mpg on the highway a number of times (300 mile roundtrip, 60mph-no cruisecontrol on vehicle). I am going to try it with the scangauge next.

02SaturnSL is offline   Reply With Quote