e-bike conversion kit - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

e-bike conversion kit

Hello two wheeler! After moving to Colorado, I'm riding almost 30 kilo with my old commuting bike everyday. But it results in fatigue and pain to my joints. So, I was considering purchasing an e-bike. But I've changed my mind. Now I want to convert my leftover commuter bike into an e-bike. So, I need an e-bike conversion kit.
The market is full of conversion kits but I want the latest one.

See the list: https://gearbikesreview.com/best-ebi...on-kit-review/

Can anyone help me choosing the right one from the list? The kit should have a powerful braking system. Thanks in advance!

BenRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Disk brakes are a must!

Whatever kit you choose, you'll be adding enough weight to the bike that you will need to upgrade the brakes if they are not already disk, at least on the front, and preferably disk on the rear as well. I have an upgraded older Ti-frame cross bike with a Bafang BBSHD mid-drive, and I had to upgrade the brakes, as trying to slow down on a downhill was a joke. Stopping in an emergency was an impossibility. So I installed a hydraulic disk in the front (180mm) and still ride with the cantilevers in the rear, but am cautious when going downhill. Putting a disk on the rear is an expensive proposition (new shifter+wheel+cluster+derailleur) so I'll live with the current setup. But please, don't expect that a hub drive will give you enough braking force to overcome the added weight of the conversion. Braking force may be the deciding factor of whether you'll be able to feel safe with a e-bike conversion on an older frame. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

moquiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRiddle View Post
Hello two wheeler! After moving to Colorado, I'm riding almost 30 kilo with my old commuting bike everyday. But it results in fatigue and pain to my joints. So, I was considering purchasing an e-bike. But I've changed my mind. Now I want to convert my leftover commuter bike into an e-bike. So, I need an e-bike conversion kit.

See the list: https://dirtbikeadvisor.com

Can anyone help me choosing the right one from the list? The kit should have a powerful braking system. Thanks in advance!
With a variety of e-bikes available with prices with as low to $700 (CAD) You should not necessarily consider conversion to be the most cost-effective option, particularly in the event of a labor cost to convert. But, it is possible that conversion could provide better value than buying an unbranded or used bike.

For instance an example, a low-cost $700 electric bike might comprise 200 pounds of bicycle, a cheap Li-Ion battery for $300, and an electrical system that costs $200 that you cannot rely on for a long time.

What you're seeking is a reliable and easy conversion kit that provides the best street legal performance with a minimum 30-40km range. It must have a five-year estimated lifespan, a high-quality and well-engineered Li-Ion battery that costs about $500 and approximately similar to the other electric systems.
EyesFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRiddle View Post

See the list: https://gearbikesreview.com/best-ebi...on-kit-review/

Just curious about what kit did you got if proceeded with the conversion. My friend got this bike for 20 years and is looking to get covert it as well. He recently installed a new set of tires from 4Wheelonline plus new body paint.
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote