Kawisaki Ninja 250R discussion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Kawisaki Ninja 250R discussion

I wanted one of these bikes about 2 years ago.

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs.

I was told not to even waste my time on a Kawi 250R so I gave up. Everyone told me it's weak and slow and I wouldn't be happy with it. I couldn't afford much else, and actually, was having to look at used 250's just to afford on of those. I sorta gave up on the idea.

I rode a friend's GSX-R 600 a few times a year later (a year ago), and handled it very nicely but I felt like it had TONS of power, and it only needed about half of that. I told him I was interested in a 250 again after riding his bike and he told me, "you'll get tired of it after a month.... just buy a 600"

I didn't even bother looking at them because it was still not in the budget.

Since then, things have changed and I'm doing better financially. This spring I'd love to pick a bike up. MPG is on my mind big time these days.

My real questions are:

Where is a good source to look for slighly used Ninja 250's?

Would you suggest I go and test ride one to see if I'm satisfied, or do you think people just bad mouth them and call them "girl's bikes" because they don't understand our (FE minded people) approach to ownership of a small bike?

When you got yours, was it fun at first and now you're bored with it?

If I were to take the next step up, what is the next best bike as far as CC size and FE?

Thanks!

PS: The way I see it is if I can drive my Saturn (124 horsepower!) daily and not complain about it being "too slow", I think I'd really love a Ninja 250R. I've only been on a motorcycle/dirtbike a handful of times and it was such a rush. I'm also compusive and have had 7 or 8 traffic tickets in the different Camaro's I've owned over the years... given that fact, I think it's best I limit myself in CC's to stay out of trouble... would you agree?

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Been there, heard that.

I too have heard the "you'll get tired of it in a month". Having grown up riding motorcycles to get where I wanted to go, both on and off road, I can say that at road speeds, a 250 will get you going just fine. Especially if FE is your goal, you don't need mind-blasting power (which usually only gets you in trouble anyway ).

The only real "problem" with a Ninja 250R from my perspective (and I am similarly built to yourself) is the fact that lighter bikes tend to get pushed around in the wind more than heavier bikes. If you are going to be doing most of your riding 55 mph or slower, or will be avoiding freeway traffic, than this should not be an issue.

I am currently on the fence about getting another bike, and the 250R is on my list as well. I would definitely say though test drive one in the environment in which you will be traveling, and decide if you like it. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

AmmoCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've ridden a ninja 250 a few times, and I thought that it was amazing, very light and responsive, plenty of power, perfect for ridding in town and on back roads, not good for racing or taking on the interstate, but seeing as how it has a top speed around 110mph, and the top leagle speed limit on public roads in the us is 75mph, it has plenty of power, the only real down side of it is that with the smaller engine, the engine tends to run faster even at crusing speeds, leading to faster wear, and more freqent valve adjustments.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ninja 250 fuel mileage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I've ridden a ninja 250 a few times, and I thought that it was amazing, very light and responsive, plenty of power, perfect for ridding in town and on back roads, not good for racing or taking on the interstate, but seeing as how it has a top speed around 110mph, and the top leagle speed limit on public roads in the us is 75mph, it has plenty of power, the only real down side of it is that with the smaller engine, the engine tends to run faster even at crusing speeds, leading to faster wear, and more freqent valve adjustments.
Ok, I got a little carried away with my Ninja and had too much fun with it, so much so I ended up getting a whoppin 34mpg! It supposed to get 75mpg or so. From what I have learned, a larger displacement motorcycle, like a 650 for instance will give better torque so you don't need to dip into the rpms as much which will be better for mileage. So it's all dependent on how you ride.

Anyways, I ended selling my bike and am now focusing on getting either an SV650S or a Ninja 650R. Both are larger displacement but can provide 55+mpg with power on tap without the constant high revs required by the smaller engine. Again, it's my riding style overall that causes me to burn much more fuel. However, others with a Ninja 250 get better mileage than I do, so it also could've been my bike.
smalldisplacementfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

i didnt know 34mpg out of a 250 ninja was possible.

i own a bike myself, but i dont know how good of mileage it can get... how can that be? because its a toy, and i ride it like one. full throttle, passing everything in sight, and triple digit speeds on a regular basis... all the bad stuff for mileage. now this bikes a 750 and its getting 43-44mpg on a very regular basis, being rode in that manner.

i've rode a ninja250 before and the problem is that you need to have it full throttle and up in the revs to go anywhere, killing your mileage... but even then its not that fast, sure it will out run the average car in traffic 0-60, but nothing very sporty.

just depends on what you really want. if you want a toy, i dont think a 250ninja will do it for you. if your moped cant keep up with traffic, a 250ninja might be perfect. i would suggest trying out a 500ninja, i think it would be more fun and still return excellent mpg's
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

My sister has one that she just got this year ('05 model I believe) and she is already talking about getting a larger bike.

I am hoping to be able to buy the one that she has come time for her to sell it.

I'd love to use one of these in the summer for my transportations need.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Odd the worst mileage I got with my 250 was 67mpg. That was hard canyon riding and a lot of 78mph freeway.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
some people change the gearing, so it revs higher, giving quicker acceleration, this could lead to poor mileage as well, others gear gear it so the engine is turning slower and get slightly better then stock mileage, I personly ride a honda cb125, and for around town find that 12hp is plenty.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

The most I'll be taking the bike up to is about 50mph in my back and forth to work trip. If I rode it to school in the evenings there is so much traffic I bet I'd only be 35mph or less.

I think i'm going to keep my eyes out for a yellow one.

I can't quite justify the new '08 sale price of $3499. When I was doing research before and planning to buy one I read somewhere that for a new bike, plan to spend $100 per cc... so Ninja 250 would be $2500.

The fact that you can buy '02-03 Ninja 250's w/ 5k on them for $1500 is what I'm after. Keep the purchase price low, so that if I want to resell after a year, I won't be losing so much money. Any money saved in mileage, would be lost in resale. Gotta keep that in mind!
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ninja 250's are the only US 250cc sportbike. So, they have been popular ever since they came out. It's hard to find them used cheap. Even the original ones from 1987 still will fetch $1000 or more.

Really, you're not going to loose anything depreciation from ownership unless it's broken.

You might be able to find an EX500 for less money. Won't have the same styling as the 250 Ninja, but you'll have the extra displacement. That can be an advantage in staying ahead of the cages.