"new " project bike - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: "new " project bike

My 1999 Nija 250 was a salvaged bike and so I had to have it inspected and the engine and frame #s verified to get it titled and registered for street usage.
I adjusted the valve clearances, sparkplug gap, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and changed the oil and filter. I topped off the tank and rode it around running errands for a few days before doing my first official mpg calculation: 65 mpg.
Today I rode with Alan Smith( Ninja 250 streamliner ) and another stock 2008 Ninja 250 as well as a Triumph 1100 and a BMW 1200. We topped off our tanks at the start of ride and refueled at the end of the ride 126.7 miles later. The ride was at a spirited pace on twisty backroads on a cold day with with about 15 freeway miles on the way back. Alan got 89.47 mpg, the 2008 ninja got 62.1 mpg and I got 72.8 mpg. I was pleased with how the bike runs and how well it handles. It was interesting to compare the 2 stock ninjas with Alan's to see how effective his modifications are.
Now that I have my baseline I'm ready to start my modications. I'll start with a larger countershaft sprocket ( 15 tooth vs 14) and larger windscreen with rear sprocket and more aero mods to follow. I'm pleased to already have beaten my best tankfill on my Vision 550cc ( 66.8 mpg) . I'll try to keep posting on my progress.
Happy new year, L&S
Happy New Year , L&S

low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

Report #2 After getting the baseline for the Ninjette ( 72.8mpg ) I could hardly wait til I started doing some mods. I haven't bought sprockets yet so I decided to start modding the front end of the bike. I removed the windscreen and front fender . I made a longer, taller windscreen out of coroplast and mounted it on the stack faring. I made a fully faired front fender out of sheet metal, coroplast and some outdoor sign stock. Since I'm going with a Vetter tail, I just bungeed on a plastic trash receptacle behind me until I start building the tail. I need to do another run see how it works. more to follow.
all the best, L&S

Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

Here some pix of the mods. Irode it yesterday and today and it handled the winds very well. I also rplaced the stack seat with one i made to lower the seat height. I ordered a larger countershaft sprocket and test it soon.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

I filled up today and got 59.3 mpg. Disappointing. I may do one more tankfill before I install my 15T/33T sprocket combo so I can better evaluate the aero mods. The taller gearing should make a differenece.
alll the best, L&S
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Registered Member

How'bout somthin' like this:

Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

All that setup needs is a windshield wiper.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Registered Member

I did another test run today before installing the taller gearing and the results are.... 74.6 mpg. So at least some improvement over the stock Ninja configuration with the aero mods. I'm going to install taller gearing and will go with a 15T front/ 41T rear combo for now. After some discussion with Alan Smith I decided to try the 41T rear first before going with the extremely tall 33t sprocket that Greenjoe sent me. I feel very optiimistic as the Ninja feels very short-geared, easily pulling 6 th gear at 35 mph.

Cat, interesting bike, a bit too much height in the windscreen and no boatailing for rear . It looks interesting but it probably wouldn't do much better than a stocker.
Tradosaurus did you get a bike yet?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #18
Registered Member

No not yet. I did find a a few ninjas in my area but not in my price range.

http://texarkana.craigslist.org/mcy/2796182555.html

http://texarkana.craigslist.org/mcy/2747819342.html
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Registered Member

tradosaurus, with winter here you should be able to get a good bike for your budget. Patience grashopper ! I was checking CL every morning and made several lowball offers before I got my Ninja for $799, much less than the $1500 I had budgeted for.

I rode the bike today with the 15/41 gearing ( vs 14/45 stock ) today and it is much improved. I can confirm that the rpms are now down to ~6000 at 60 rpm. The bike still accelerates very well and actually it can handle even taller gearing. I'm using Alan Smith's spare rear sprocket right now and he also has a 39 tooth rear he offered to let me use. He is currently running a 37 tooth rear right now. I also have a 33 tooth rear that another motorcycle hypermiler sent me ( thanks GreenJoe) . I'll run this setup for a bit and test it. I'll post the results shiortly.
all the best L&S
Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Registered Member

During the rainy weather, I took advantage of some down time to do some work on the Ninja. I added some small "wings" to the windscreen/fairing and a right side mirror. I also spray painted my additions so it looks somewhat better. I went ahead and extended the tailsection to a full boattail and added sidepanels over the rear wheel. I still haven't done enough miles to merit a fillup but I will use the Ninja tomorrow to run some errands and may top it off to see how the new 15/41 sprocket combo is working.
Attached are some pictures of the latest configuration.
Next steps: smaller rear sprocket , possibly a 39 tooth and check with Craig about starting work on another Vetter tail.
all th best, L&S
Attached Images