United Motors 250cc Cruiser - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
To update this thread, my dad's bike now has almost 8,000 miles on it!! He said it feels like it is starting to get more power now as it is finally getting broken in. He said he got on the highway the other day only to see a big rig coming up behind him quick. So he decided to stay in the right lane but to accelerate in order to get to his exit before the rig caught him. He looked down after a few seconds to see that he was doing 87 mph! Keep in mind he has a full windsheild, he is 6' tall and weighs around 275-300 pounds.

His current fuel mileage with the wind sheild is 58 mpg on average.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Interesting. We have a tall windshield too, but I can't say we reach 87mph in a few seconds without noticing. In fact, I could never exceed 84 on level road at all (we often ride 2-up and the two of us combined weigh just a tad more than your dad so we may be a good reference here ) - but the gas mileage is mostly in the 70s lately as you can see it in my log (Ciliegia is the GV250, now we're after the 10000 km maint, carbs tuned).

It's very mixed usage, contains backroads, main roads, freeway over 70mph and city learning (my girlfriend was pretty upset after a lesson because her partner was driving under 20mph on main streets where 37 is the legal limit).

It's said that top speed can get better with 'longer' gearing and I expect FE to improve too - it may be our next experiment (new chain+sprockets at 15k maint like this summer?).

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
Interesting. We have a tall windshield too, but I can't say we reach 87mph in a few seconds without noticing. In fact, I could never exceed 84 on level road at all (we often ride 2-up and the two of us combined weigh just a tad more than your dad so we may be a good reference here ) - but the gas mileage is mostly in the 70s lately as you can see it in my log (Ciliegia is the GV250, now we're after the 10000 km maint, carbs tuned).

It's very mixed usage, contains backroads, main roads, freeway over 70mph and city learning (my girlfriend was pretty upset after a lesson because her partner was driving under 20mph on main streets where 37 is the legal limit).

It's said that top speed can get better with 'longer' gearing and I expect FE to improve too - it may be our next experiment (new chain+sprockets at 15k maint like this summer?).

I know that my dad did recently have his chain and sproket changed out at a dealer, but I don't know if they put the factory gearing back on or went with a differant gear ratio. The bike also has saddle bags on it as well. That may actually help aero out since they almost tuck in behind his legs.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I know that my dad did recently have his chain and sproket changed out at a dealer, but I don't know if they put the factory gearing back on or went with a differant gear ratio. The bike also has saddle bags on it as well. That may actually help aero out since they almost tuck in behind his legs.
We have saddle bags too They're quite bad though, too small and getting holes, so we're planning to get solid side/topcases instead this year. And aero is a mistery
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Registered Member

you guys got any pics?
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
Registered Member

87 mph out of a 250 is pretty impressive. I remember my '78 Yamaha XS-400, when it was fairly new, topped out a little above 70. That was with no windshield, and I weighed about 140 lbs at that time.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
you guys got any pics?
Click on 'Ciliegia' next to any of my posts

And in this gallery > http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...iNIN666/motor/ < you can see a bunch of pictures of both our bikes.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Registered Member

ooh ic not bad not bad a all

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote