Am I ever going to be a hypermiler???? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Driving on E

Re: correct me if i'm wrong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
trust me there is no need for a Scangauge or even the Supermid.
I wouldn't make such a broad statement. Most people really know their cars, but having instant feedback can really help.

Imagine this. YOu are driving and you want to get the best gas mileage you can. You look down at your scangauge and watch the mpg numbers go up, and then suddenly go down due to any number of things. you then slow down to get back to the high gas mileage number you were witnessing a second ago.

Cars are funny. They have a sweet spot and we often don't know exactly what it is unless we can get instant feedback.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Member

sweetspot is 37mph for me.

sweetspot is 37mph for me. Not only is there less wind resistence but it's at 1250rpm. Unless of course I let the car roll by itself and it gets to 20+mph at less than 1000rpm. That almost never happens because I live in the city and even at 4am there is somebody on my ***.

Plus the fact the car makes a humming noise at it's best mpg. No it's not the tires, they make a different sound.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member

also, don't underestimate

also, don't underestimate the effect having MPG feedback on your *motivation* to drive as efficiently as conditions allow.

the ScanGauge turned my driving into a game. because i have precise MPG feedback on every single trip, practically every time i get in the car, i try my best to be as efficient as possible because the results are right there.

without that feedback, how do you know whether you got better mileage on yesterday's drive to school/work/etc, compared to today's?

how do you easily find out which is more efficient, route A or route B?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

well if the road has no

well if the road has no streetlights for a long distance then the street would be the best choice. Otherwise it's the freeway because there is no stops and the speed is constant. I can't really pick my routes. I get out the house, turn right, go for 3.5 miles straight to my college.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
Registered Member

well then, it seems like you

well then, it seems like you may already have all the information you need to answer your original question.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

the only question that

the only question that remains is do my injectors turn off on decelaration, because that's the only thing I can use to gain some more mpg. So far nobody has been able to answer this and I asked a lot of people.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Registered Member

Re: the only question that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
the only question that remains is do my injectors turn off on decelaration, because that's the only thing I can use to gain some more mpg. So far nobody has been able to answer this and I asked a lot of people.
I've only owned automatics until I bought the Metro and my wife's Stratus. From my experience, the automatic transmissions don't experience deceleration like a manual does.

Going down a hill is one example. A manual transmission will gain very little, if any speed, while in gear. An automatic practically considers itself in neutral and will continue to gain speed.

I would tend to say that your injectors are not off at all and the vehicle is in a neutral/idle state when your foot is off the gas. However, I could be wrong - this is just what I've experienced.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #18
*shrug*

Quote:An automatic

Quote:
An automatic practically considers itself in neutral and will continue to gain speed.
Mine experience very much engine braking,

Quote:
I would tend to say that your injectors are not off at all and the vehicle is in a neutral/idle state when your foot is off the gas. However, I could be wrong - this is just what I've experienced.
I agree here, however, having a digital fuel gauge helps me determine these things.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

Re: Quote:An automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Mine experience very much engine braking,
I'm curious to know what kind of vehicle. I've owned GM, Ford, and Chrysler automatics (LeMans, Malibu, Taurus, Spirit, Aerostar) and experienced very little engine braking from them. Practically zero when compared to the two standard shifts I now drive.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
*shrug*

91 CRX DX Auto ****, soon to

91 CRX DX Auto ****, soon to be manual love bucket as per my project thread, which you might have seen.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote