Am I ever going to be a hypermiler???? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
Registered Member

Oops, right...forgot your

Oops, right...forgot your rex was an auto. So, you get lots of engine braking - must be a Honda thing.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #22
*shrug*

Very well could be. *getting

Very well could be. *getting excited for the swap as he wire brushes his new valve cover*

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
Registered Member

This isn't going to matter

This isn't going to matter to you Ben since you're going manual but if the throttle cable is too loose it will cause engine braking when you let go off the gas. The throttle cable should be tight but not too tight where it increases idle that means it's too tight.

I check my throttle cable about every 6 months. After a couple years it got too loose and when I let go off the gas it slowed down a lot. After I tightened it the car coasts longer.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
*shrug*

If the throttle is closed

If the throttle is closed it's closed, I always thought...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Registered Member

I guess mine stays open but

I guess mine stays open but doesn't affect the idle. What I'm thinking is if the throttle cable is loose there is less tension when the spring closes the throttle. With more tension maybe it closes slower and lets it coast longer.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #26
Registered Member

Re: LOL. I don't think you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
LOL. I don't think you realize I have an automatic. I'm sure as hell not going to put my auto in N while moving, I already have enough tranny problems. Also I'm not going to shut the engine down, this is cali, the worst drivers are here. If I had a manual I would of been 35+mpg a long time ago. An automatic limits a lot.
if i can drive a nissan quest with a ****ty engine and crappy tire pressures from city to city and managed not to dent the fuel gauge not even once (sadly that car did not have ODBII for me to plug my SG in) for a total distance of at least over 30 miles then with your lighter and nimble car i'm sure you can do

i understand that your worried about ruining your transmission but think of it this way. IF you can slide the shifter from D to N very easily without pressing the button then Im sure your car is meant for it. The nissan quest acts like if its in N as soon as I let off the gas and when the rev drops just slide it into N

as for the SG not being worth it, i hardly disagree, feedback is the best way to know which routes are good and which you should avoid. You'd be so surprised on which routes you can take and hardly use any gas at all.

to say automatics are useless is an understatement, even when i don't even FAS and only abuse N i can still managed high 40's and low 50's when I DO FAS.... not much difference is there?

that's all right, you have your reasons not to abuse N, i'll happily continue to do so in manuals (which i have the liberty of turning off the engine for bonus) or just shift it into N with an auto tranny (which i have the liberty of not shifting since i'm lazy)

if your rev rise when you shift fromm N to D then ok your auto tranny lick balls. If not.... your missing out good mpg...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
Registered Member

my rpm goes down when I put

my rpm goes down when I put in D. When I let go off the gas on the street the rpm drops to 1000rpm. On the freeway 1600rpm.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #28
Registered Member

It turns out I have the

It turns out I have the injector off feature as long as the throttle plate is closed. I asked some maxima people since my car shares a lot of maxima parts. Brakes, transmission, axles, and etc.

I found something in the nissan shop manual....

"FUEL SHUT-OFF

Fuel to each cylender is cut off during deceleration or operation of the engine at excessively high speeds."

Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #29
*shrug*

Are you sure that is for the

Are you sure that is for the automatic as well?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #30
Registered Member

I asked specifically if it

I asked specifically if it applies to the auto. Do you get a bump in rpm when the injectors come back on???