Am I ever going to be a hypermiler???? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Am I ever going to be a hypermiler????

I'm just pissed that my mpg went up only by .1 after I made a 29.9mpg tank.

The tank was an easily 30mpg but certain dumbass broke down on the freeway and I was stuck in traffic for 20min. The guy could of easily moved his truck to the emergency lane. He was right next to it. There were even 2 guys there.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
*shrug*

Eh, for some people/cars it

Eh, for some people/cars it just isn't meant to be. For me the killer is getting lost in a high traffic area and then needing to zip-dart around like a crazy mofo.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: Eh, for some people/cars it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Eh, for some people/cars it just isn't meant to be. For me the killer is getting lost in a high traffic area and then needing to zip-dart around like a crazy mofo.
I'm not saying I ride around the freeway to get good mpg. I made 29.9 in 2/3 city driving. I just wished I drove more freeway. The number will keep improving because I put the new sensor on almost at the half tank. Sometimes this is frustrating.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
Driving on E

As soon as the new software

As soon as the new software is up the averages will be based on the last 90 days and not a running average. You can hit hyper-mileage status yet.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm already a hypermiler.

I'm already a hypermiler. 20% above 25mpg is 30mpg. The next tank will be higher since the sensor will be in the car the whole tank. I can't wait till fall, I'll get to put a EBH and get it hopefully to 32mpg.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

well first i understand your

well first i understand your driving in the busiest time of the day, but to say more freeway miles will improve your mpg that's not true. You just haven't found the special routes yet that allows you to abuse N more than you ever could before, let alone traffic behind you permits you from coasting as much as you like.

A lot of it has to do with luck, its not about doing it its hard, its about not getting creamed when you do it. Really an engine is its most efficent if its turn off when NOT IN USE, but in your case that's not possible so the next best thing is to leave it in N. At least in N it burns JUST ENOUGH fuel to keep it on and during that moment you should find roads that let you coast as much as possible. Also try to find routes that allow you go around the rush hour even if it means going all the way around, if you can find the perfect route you'll coast more than you need to touch the accelerator!

Even if the route you choosed adds more distance (we talking about a lot more) but if it avoids creeping in bumper to bumper traffic i find the ride is so much more enjoyable when i'm at movement rather than going no where waiting to go. Even if I have to climb hills to avoid the many stops, if you can find a perfect route where you have to use no brakes at all and your confident of the light's patterns then you have found the gold!

Cruse those who prevent us from reaching our goals!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

LOL. I don't think you

LOL. I don't think you realize I have an automatic. I'm sure as hell not going to put my auto in N while moving, I already have enough tranny problems. Also I'm not going to shut the engine down, this is cali, the worst drivers are here. If I had a manual I would of been 35+mpg a long time ago. An automatic limits a lot.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yea the automatic are quite

Yea the automatic are quite the handycap. Your numbers are going up just stick with it. I get more FE out of driving techniqes than mods.

On a side note driving for FE is really not easy. Most of America, those that just get in the car and drive, don't realize how much effort it take with planning routes watching traffic flows etc. Insurance companies should give a brake to hypermilers.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

correct me if i'm wrong,

correct me if i'm wrong, compaq, but you're still lacking one of the most important tools for driving efficiently: fuel economy instrumentation (ScanGauge / SuperMID).

if you *really* want to drive more efficiently, that's what you need.

about the cost: think of it as a long-term investment that you keep even when you change cars. if you use it, it will pay for itself - quickly if you're serious, less quickly if you're not.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Re: correct me if i'm wrong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
correct me if i'm wrong, compaq, but you're still lacking one of the most important tools for driving efficiently: fuel economy instrumentation (ScanGauge / SuperMID).

if you *really* want to drive more efficiently, that's what you need.

about the cost: think of it as a long-term investment that you keep even when you change cars. if you use it, it will pay for itself - quickly if you're serious, less quickly if you're not.
trust me there is no need for a Scangauge or even the Supermid. After having this car for 1.5 years It's blindly seen that the lower the rpms and the higher the gear the better the mpg. Now an engine block heater is a good investment. The longer I stay in 4th the better the mpg. With an engine block heater I'll be able to get into 4th earlier because the engine won't go into 4th till the thermostat opens. Some guy even did a study on the same exact car. He got 44mpg at 40mph and 37mpg at 51mph. 35mpg at 55mph. My 4th starts at 37mph, as you can see the faster you go the more mpg drops off. I'm getting around 40mpg at 65mph because I removed 35+lbs(spare, jack, some engine stuff) and I weigh 130lbs, have tires at 55psi and have a good amount of aero stuff.

Now tell me what I could possibly gain from the Scangauge? BTW I can check my codes free at autozone if you were going to use the check codes for an answer.