coasting - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #21
FE nut

Quote:i'm probably overdoing

Quote:
i'm probably overdoing the engine-off business at this point, and still botching the occasional clutch start, mainly from waiting too long - e.g. road speed too slow to start in 5th. i need to figure out the range of speeds at which 5th, 4th or 3rd would be most appropriate for a clutch start.
I'm not sure how your car is geared, but in my Saturn, I can start the engine in 4th as slow as 20 mph; sometimes 15 if the engine is good and warm. If I get to 15 and below I usually use 3rd. I usually use 5th down to around 30-35mph.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
bump speed

I would think that the gear you select should have at least 500-1000 rpm at the motor and if your engine starts as well as my Geo it should start if you get one compression cycle on any of the three cylinders. You should just pop the clutch and push it back in really quick and the engine should start. Leaving it out too long at too low an rpm will kick the clutch springs back and forth and probably stall the engine before it gets up to minimum running speed.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
Registered Member

thanks for the advice

thanks for the advice guys.

i think my problem (in addition to mistakenly using 5th when i'm going too slow for it) is i'm trying too hard to be smooth: sometimes i'm not releasing the clutch far enough, or for long enough. and if i'm down below 10 mph when i make one of these false attempts, it just slows me down that much more. at which point i'm toast and forced to use the key.

it doesn't happen *too* often. i botched it once today. it'll come with practice. i'm still getting used to the car, too...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
Registered Member

well, 136 miles so far on

well, 136 miles so far on this tank of gas and the scangauge says 59.2 mpg (US) - mainly sub/ex/urban driving with a little highway thrown in.

engine-off while coasting is the key - though temps are also rising as well. my previous best tank in the blackfly is 53.1

and this tank isn't exclusively engine-off technique; i filled up on march 2 and did the experiment on march 10. so there's some old-skool driving in the mix as well.

the only "downside": at this rate it's going to take me a couple of months to use a full tank of gas. i'm eager to compare the scangauge's readings against a fill-up. my fuel needle is still on "F" for this tank...

i'm getting smoother at the clutch re-starts also. no botched attempts today. i'm getting a better feel for whether to use 3, 4 or 5 for the re-start depending on road speed.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
Registered Member

Metro,Do you work at home

Metro,
Do you work at home or are you independantly wealthy? Some people use more gas in thier daily commute than you do in a whole month. You are the best candidate for an EV of anyone that i know. Hmmm. Maybe you should build your own! I have an idea. First, scan the all of the forklift enthusiast mags for used forklift ads in your area, then ....................

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

yup, work at home.

yup, work at home.

independent, yes - wealthy, no. i'm on one of those "get rich slow" plans. (probably because i spend too much time taking apart forklifts instead of really working.)

you know... half the people in this town are ideal candidates for EVs. anyone with more than one car, anyway.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #27
Registered Member

Re: well, 136 miles so far on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
well, 136 miles so far on this tank of gas and the scangauge says 59.2 mpg (US) - mainly sub/ex/urban driving with a little highway thrown in.
Congrats on 59.2 so far. I am at 160 miles 57.2 MPG. Can't wait for higher temps. I will send you whatever I don't use.

What tires are you running again? I am too lazy to check your garage.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Registered Member

you know, i'm not even sure

you know, i'm not even sure what brand they are - i'm too lazy to check my own sidewall!

whatever they are, they're 155/80/13 original rubber. tigerpaws? i'll have a looksee tomorrow and get back to you.

pressure's more like 51 now that ambient has gone up. it's soooo harsh, i'll be letting a little of that out, i'll tell you.

we'll just see if that 59 holds - i've got a couple of highway trips coming up in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
original 8 year old goodyear invicta GL

treadwear 260, traction A, temperature B, sex appeal 0, traction in snow F
Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
original 8 year old goodyear invicta GL

treadwear 260, traction A, temperature B, sex appeal 0, traction in snow F
I would give them an "A" for hypermiling.