Comment on P&G - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Comment on P&G

I don't know if some already talk about this on the forum, but I have a question on this Pulse and Glide technic. Yes it's good in theory and all, just like when I'm going downhill I WAS putting my VX in neutral. But then I thought about that, when the car is running in neutral, the gaz isnt burning the same way then if it would be in gear, so I told myself, well I'm better be in gear, even if a burn a litle bit more gaz, at least its going to be more clean for the air.

So what do you, people of gassavers.org have to say about this, because I really dont know what to think.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

So long as the engine is running, your emissions system will still inject enough fuel to keep the catalytic converter/s running as they should be, so there shouldn't be any change in emissions. In fact, your emissions will be proportionally less w/ the car in N provided you're getting however much better mileage. When you shut the car off, the cat/s can cool down to the point where a significant rich excursion is required on startup, which would result in more, possibly way more, HC emissions. So unless you kill the engine, your emissions should be roughly the same.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well I know what I'm going to do, shut off the engine when I'm going downhill! On a 70km trip, I'm doing like 5km, at least, on downhill. This is going to be a great save of gas, of money and also the mileage of the car, even if I don't think I never will sold this VX.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote